Marvel Zombies series discussion (spoilers)

E

Excelsior Club
No thread on this yet? Was I the only one to pick it up?

Nice start - I wanted to see how this issue shaped up to see if I wanted to continue getting it and it certainly didn't disappoint. Basically Magneto tries to get away and does...for a while. But they catch up to him, Zombie Wasp bites him, Hulk rips his leg off, and everyone digs in.

Later Hulk turns back into Banner and the bones poke through his stomach. Everyone is rotting and literally falling apart and wondering what they are going to do for food, and low and behold....

Silver Surfer!

Sounds awfully... um... decompressed, based on your summary.

Not that I expected a whole lot in the way of character development.

Were there any new zombies whom they hadn't featured before?

compound said:

Not that I expected a whole lot in the way of character development.

Were there any new zombies whom they hadn't featured before?

Hey, Kirkman is definitly a professional zombie author. And at least in this case his zombies are allowed to display a bit of personality, in that they have a certain level of retained intelligence and can speak. I'm actually very much looking forward to this book, not as much as Ultimates 2 #9, but definitly more than USM #87.

TheManWithoutFear said:
So Magneto bites it early eh? Would've been better if he'd just died in the explosion.

Eh, we already knew that from previews. I kind of like that approach though, it gives you a false sense of hope and realization that anyone's a candidate for zombie fricasse. Thats what zombie stories are all about!

compound said:

There's a lot of chasing.

I like this book. This is the first non-Ultimate book I've picked up since the 90s and I wasn't disappointed. It's great that Kirkman was able to continue the flow of what Millar left behind very well, and we found in this issue that the Marvel Zombies actually retain the personalities, but already lost their sense of heroism because of the immense hunger and quite possibly mental imbalances and desensitization to their current situation. I like the part where Spider-Zombie gets a conscience. The banter between them while trying to figure out what the hell is happening to them was absolutely entertaining. We've already seen brainless zombies doing funny things because they're idiots. Smarter zombies are more entertaining.

I will be picking up the next ish. My only comment is that they could have made a book a little creepier if the art was more disturbing and darker, like McNiven's. But the art's not bad either. Also I was a little annoyed that they showed the Magneto being taken apart during this book's previews, since it seems to me that for half the issue, Kirkman is trying to convince you that Mags was going to be the hero for the series especially keeping him alive after the Baxter explosion and contacting survivors at Asteroid M.

Last edited:
My shop finally got their shipment of this in yesterday so I had a chance to read it.

Hilarious stuff.

The art was great, though I wish the coloring had been done differently. The issue itself was also entertaining, especially Mags "Day of the Dead" reference when he went down. "CHOKE ON ME!!" Classic. Heh, I also like how Pym spouted off the usual rhetoric about the brains being intact and then cap (I'm sorry, Col) showing up holding his. So, we got survivors on Asteroid M and we got the Silver Surfer showing up. Anybody think that this might be working towards all the outerspace types come and take out Earth to prevent the virus from spreading or something like that? If Galactus showed up, that would be equally cool as someone suggested.

My only gripe was the after-feeding frenzy scene seemed a bit to wordy, but I guess it had to happen to explain some things and give the zombies some character. Aside from that though, I enjoyed it and I'm really looking forward to seeing SS kick some zombie ***.

Entropy said:
So, we got survivors on Asteroid M .
Why is he the first to mention this? That sounds interesting and note worthy.

Entropy said:
Anybody think that this might be working towards all the outerspace types come and take out Earth to prevent the virus from spreading or something like that? If Galactus showed up, that would be equally cool as someone suggested.
Yeah, that sounds like a good place to take this story... and ooooh what if they bring Galactus to devour the planet, thinking they had destroyed the virus. And the final panel is Zombie Galactus.

Wait Compound Said that already. Well I just made a scenerio for it. Sorry.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Why is he the first to mention this? That sounds interesting and note worthy.

Yeah, just before he gets pounced on, Mags receives a staticy transmission from someone onboard Asteroid M. He says not everyone survives, but there are people up there. Unless it was just a ploy by some more infected but I don't think so. In fact, the more I think about this, I think Kirkman is setting this up to be a battle between zombies and outerspace. In other words, a geeks wet dream ;).

Yeah, that sounds like a good place to take this story... and ooooh what if they bring Galactus to devour the planet, thinking they had destroyed the virus. And the final panel is Zombie Galactus.

Wait Compound Said that already. Well I just made a scenerio for it. Sorry.

Heh, zombie Galactus. Lo and behold, the virus is so great it can infect an abstract force itself! Heh, then he goes and infects all the other abstract beings and we get zombie Celestials and zombie Eternity and zombie Death...

Oh wait. Yeah, what the hell. And at the end, the Living Tribunal shows up and destroys everyone and then HE gets infected and it ultimately turns out...

STILT MAN WAS BEHIND IT ALL!!!

Entropy said:
Heh, zombie Galactus. Lo and behold, the virus is so great it can infect an abstract force itself! Heh, then he goes and infects all the other abstract beings and we get zombie Celestials and zombie Eternity and zombie Death...

Oh wait. Yeah, what the hell. And at the end, the Living Tribunal shows up and destroys everyone and then HE gets infected and it ultimately turns out...

STILT MAN WAS BEHIND IT ALL!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And then...

We cut to a high-school classroom in 616, several months ago.

The regular, unzombified Peter Parker says, to a room full of mostly shocked pupils, "And that, class, is how chaos theory works."

And finally, the UFF "Crossover" arc lives up to its name.

i personally would LOVE to see galactus eat the zombie planet earth... though to be quite honest, i dont see how then turning him into zombie galactus would make the devourer of planets any less, or more, threatening then he already is.

great issue though, i especially loved the different take on the zombies in this story, it gives the zombies life as opposed to making them mindless masses as they are usually portrayed. its def. very interesting to see them adjusting to there new life, and not exactly knowing what is going on, yet knowing what they need to do since there lives HAVE been drastically altered.

cmdrjanjalani said:
I like this book. This is the first non-Ultimate book I've picked up since the 90s and I wasn't disappointed.

Technically, its still an Ultimate book. Even though it takes place on an alternate reality, it stemmed directly from an Ultimate title. After all, even the old 616 stories featuring forays into alternate realities were still considered 616.

It's great that Kirkman was able to continue the flow of what Millar left behind very well, and we found in this issue that the Marvel Zombies actually retain the personalities, but already lost their sense of heroism because of the immense hunger and quite possibly mental imbalances and desensitization to their current situation. I like the part where Spider-Zombie gets a conscience. The banter between them while trying to figure out what the hell is happening to them was absolutely entertaining. We've already seen brainless zombies doing funny things because they're idiots. Smarter zombies are more entertaining.

Totally agree.

I will be picking up the next ish. My only comment is that they could have made a book a little creepier if the art was more disturbing and darker, like McNiven's. But the art's not bad either. Also I was a little annoyed that they showed the Magneto being taken apart during this book's previews, since it seems to me that for half the issue, Kirkman is trying to convince you that Mags was going to be the hero for the series especially keeping him alive after the Baxter explosion and contacting survivors at Asteroid M.

I like the art, I think the somewhat rough styling works to further the creepiness tone. I agree they shouldn't have given away Mags demise in the previews, but I'm glad it happened in the story. Like I said, it just goes to show you that anyone is fair game.

Zombie Gambit bites the dust:

MZ003008_400.jpg

Guijllons said:
Does this book have a plot? Or do zombies just get hungry?

Oh course it does! And it's summed up very neatly into "What is greater: The Power Cosmic or Super Zombies?"

Latest posts

Back