Spider-Man Probably a dumb question but...

Planet-man said:
In the comics, are Spider-Man and MJ still married? I read somewhere that they weren't.
They are, but they thought she had died for awhile, and there was some more crap. This was before I read them, so someone else can go more into depth.

MJ was thought dead from ASM v2 #13 - #29 i think. After she was found alive, she left Peter cuz she was sick of being second to Spider-Man in his life. They sorted it all out in #50. Read the ASM TPBs to get the whole story

ourchair said:
This is exactly why I don't read much 616 Spider-Man anymore.

Yeah, it was pretty bad. "Happy Birthday" was even worse.

If I were writing a 616 Spidey title, I'd choose to focus on an obvious, but under-played aspect of their relationship:

Spidey -- hero and savior of NYC -- is probably an adequate match for a white-trash-girl-turned-supermodel like MJ. But Peter Parker -- high-school teacher and/or underpaid beat reporter -- is not. She ought to love him, in spite of the fact that he cramps her style, for lack of a better phrase. But that shouldn't prevent her from complaining about this fact.

So I'd write the MJ/Spidey marriage using a more Everybody Loves Raymond or Meet The Parents kind of tone, where MJ becomes more casually emasculating towards Peter. She wishes he could be less of an unaccomplished man-child as Peter Parker, even though she knows perfectly well that he serves a higher calling as Spidey. She wishes that Peter could get as much of the glory as his alter-ego, because she knows he deserves it.

I'd probably need to write a few lines of sample dialog to make this clearer though :?

compound said:
If I were writing a 616 Spidey title, I'd choose to focus on an obvious, but under-played aspect of their relationship:

Spidey -- hero and savior of NYC -- is probably an adequate match for a white-trash-girl-turned-supermodel like MJ. But Peter Parker -- high-school teacher and/or underpaid beat reporter -- is not. She ought to love him, in spite of the fact that he cramps her style, for lack of a better phrase. But that shouldn't prevent her from complaining about this fact.

So I'd write the MJ/Spidey marriage using a more Everybody Loves Raymond or Meet The Parents kind of tone, where MJ becomes more casually emasculating towards Peter. She wishes he could be less of an unaccomplished man-child as Peter Parker, even though she knows perfectly well that he serves a higher calling as Spidey. She wishes that Peter could get as much of the glory as his alter-ego, because she knows he deserves it.

I'd probably need to write a few lines of sample dialog to make this clearer though :?
Pretty interesting and well thought out idea, at least for a not so Ultimate reinvention. For some reason it reminds me of what Peter Bagge did in Startling Stories, although not quite as... Peter Baggeish.

On the other hand, I must remember to slap you for mentioning Everybody Loves Raymond and Spider-Man in the same post. You disgust me.

Last edited:
In the comics, are Spider-Man and MJ still married? I read somewhere that they weren't.

as people have already said, they were seperated for a while but got back together...in House Of M, peter was married to Gwen Stacy, until the world was returned to normal, that was just in the HOM mini series & the spiderman HOM mini series too. now he's back with MJ again

RUFUS! said:
as people have already said, they were seperated for a while but got back together...in House Of M, peter was married to Gwen Stacy, until the world was returned to normal, that was just in the HOM mini series & the spiderman HOM mini series too. now he's back with MJ again
That really doesn't count as a change, IMHO, because he didn't really choose it himself.

That really doesn't count as a change, IMHO, because he didn't really choose it himself.
according to the story he did & he didn't (if that makes sense), when he was given the oppertunity his subconcious chose Gwen (aparently...i just think that he had the fondest memories out of all his relationships when it came to gwen & thats why she was chosen)

Latest posts

Back