Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Return Of Donna Troy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ultimate Iron Man

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Other (please post answer)

Votes: 5 22.7%

• Total voters
I wanted to say Ultimate Iron Man, because I've never been so frustrated and PO'd about a comic before. That's saying something.

But House of M is about 10 trillion times better. I vote for it in good faith that #8 will not suck.

Sleeper Season 2 (Brubaker/Phillips; WildStorm).

The recently-started The Winter-Men (Lewis/De Leon; WildStorm).

Last edited:
I voted Iron Man just because there's never been a more hotly talked about mini. Ever. That and i think it's funny. :lol:

Once again I'm utterly insulted with the fact that there isn't one Daredevil Mini mentioned and he's had what? 3 so far this year?

Daredevil: Redemption was incredibly good. Hine masterfully intertwines real life events with a mythology and pulls it off without tainting the story at all. The art was great, the story was great and The Mini was simply the best... I hate this poll :evil:

I pick Manhattan Guardian for being a very readable mini-series, in spite of the sheer ridiculousness, audacity, and joyful weirdness of it all.

Vimanarana was another stand-out, for similar reasons.

I really enjoyed Black Widow: Homecoming, as well. It wasn't the best-written, or best-crafted mini-series, but definitely maong the most interesting. Rhyo, if you like Sleeper and Wintermen, this ought to appeal to you, if you haven't read it already.

Last edited:
compound said:
I pick Manhattan Guardian for being a very readable mini-series, in spite of the sheer ridiculousness, audacity, and joyful weirdness of it all.

Vimanarana was another stand-out, for similar reasons.

I really enjoyed Black Widow: Homecoming, as well. It wasn't the best-written, or best-crafted mini-series, but definitely maong the most interesting. Rhyo, if you like Sleeper and Wintermen, this ought to appeal to you, if you haven't read it already.
I'm surprised you didn't mention Livewires, as the series is pretty accessible on top of being set in a universe that most of the people here already enjoy. Its accessible for Marvel readers but doesn't require people to be familiar with ONE specific side of the continuity.

Vinmanarama is great, but I wouldn't wholly recommend it to people who DON'T enjoy the precisely WTF hallmarks of Morrison's style. Philip Bond is ace though. He makes Indians look just as hip as Brits!

Last edited:
compound said:

While I love Richard Morgan's novel Altered Carbon, I though his first Black Widow mini was only so-so and pretty much an "alternate reality" take on the Black Widow, lopping out huge parts of her character history on top of a "everything she thought she knew about her origin was wrong" plot. Which - okay, for the purposes of an AU story I can live with that. It had some interesting ideas as part of it. But, somehow, the 40+ year old Black Widow, superspy who has killed countless hundreds if not thousands, angsting over the fact that her biology has been changed enough that she can't really have children? Ummm, I don't think so (yes, that wasn't the focus of the first mini but was the subtext).

The first issue of this second series was okay, but even though I'd read the first mini, I couldn't remember who a chunk of the background characters were. It's good that continuity was so tight with the first mini but bad in that I'd already forgotten the first mini. I love Sean Phillips distinctive style, but I don't think that he and Sienkiewicz make a good team - or maybe I just haven't gotten used to it yet.

So far I'm just kinda lukewarm. I'll wait for the next iussue to decide if I'm going to go to trade or stop reading altogether.

ourchair said:
I'm surprised you didn't mention Livewires, as the series is pretty accessible on top of being set in a universe that most of the people here already enjoy. Its accessible for Marvel readers but doesn't require people to be familiar with ONE specific side of the continuity.

Vinmanarama is great, but I wouldn't wholly recommend it to people who DON'T enjoy the precisely WTF hallmarks of Morrison's style. Philip Bond is ace though. He makes Indians look just as hip as Brits!

I just picked up the Livewires digest this week and enjoyed it immensely - except for the whole digest thing. I think my copy had a slight color registration problem and it made the small "internal comlink" text boxes almost impossible to read. They'd been drawn for full comics size, meant for glossy paper, and to be reduced to digest size and cheap, coarse paper made the lettering SERIOUSLY unclear.

I also liked Vimanarama, though the delay for the last issue annoyed the heck out of me. It had a great Bollywood feel to it, even capturing the "singing and dancing" thing in a couple of panels (I'm a Bollywood fan for the spectacle, and I've been known to watch things in untranslated Hindi or Urdu or whatever language just because I enjoy the look and sound of them. I also liked Bombaby from SLG.)

ourchair said:
I'm surprised you didn't mention Livewires, as the series is pretty accessible on top of being set in a universe that most of the people here already enjoy. Its accessible for Marvel readers but doesn't require people to be familiar with ONE specific side of the continuity
D'oh! How dumb of me! It would be a MASSIVE disservice not to bring this up.

The mini-series is six issues of hectic, tech-driven fun. It's a bit light on the plot: ther Liverwires, a covert team of teenage androids, go into one illegal government tech project after another, then shut it down by whatever means necessary. That's all there is to it, really. But it leaves plenty of room for fleshing out likeable (if somewhat one-dimensional) characters, and the inter-personal (er, inter-robotic?) dynamics between them, all the while throwing them into one dangerous operation after another (including some fun, if unnecessary, diversion into Marvel's technological history).

The character designs and layouts are kinetic. There's no other way to describe them, really. It's like you can clearly see it all on the page: the movement, the direction, the intensity.

Rhyo said:
I just picked up the Livewires digest this week and enjoyed it immensely - except for the whole digest thing. I think my copy had a slight color registration problem and it made the small "internal comlink" text boxes almost impossible to read. They'd been drawn for full comics size, meant for glossy paper, and to be reduced to digest size and cheap, coarse paper made the lettering SERIOUSLY unclear.
That seems pretty ironic, considering that both Rick Mays and Adam Warren have such heavy manga influences. You'd think they would have taken the digest format into consideration, when they were doing the series.

Last edited:
compound said:
That seems pretty ironic, considering that both Rick Mays and Adam Warren have such heavy manga influences. You'd think they would have taken the digest format into consideration, when they were doing the series.
Well my understanding is that its the microcomputer typeface that suffers the most and the coloring. Maybe whoever handled the translation of color from one paper stock to another ****ed up? :?

I said Age Of Apocalypse (the new one) i thought that was really well done
It was a tough choice between that and House Of m

Last edited:
Infinite Crisis, based purely off of the first issue. The first issue of IC was already 100 times better than any of House of M.

the second haf of Madroxxx!!!!!!!!! other than that, Ghost Rider, and HoM were (and have been) my favs.

Latest posts

Back