Ultimate Annuals Being Published in Single Trade

ProjectX2

Don't expect me to take you with me when I go to s
From Amazon.com

The Ultimate Inhumans debut, two lives are forever changed, you'll never guess who's back and everyone guest-stars in the first-ever Ultimate Annuals! In Ultimate Fantastic Four Annual #1, it's the first appearance of the Ultimate Inhumans! From a hidden race, she came to steal the heart of the FF's youngest member: the beautiful elemental called Crystal! In Ultimate X-Men Annual #1, it's the return of Ultimate Juggernaut! Juggie makes a play for the Gem of Cyttorak, the jewel that will make him truly unstoppable. Only two small things stand in his way: Rogue and Gambit, the new prince and princess of thieves! In Ultimate Spider-Man Annual #1, Spidey goes toe-to-toe with some old foes - and winds up with a new girlfriend! Who is she? Let's just say she has a familiar face. And in The Ultimates Annual #1, if you thought The Ultimates were the only team S.H.I.E.L.D. was creating - you were wrong! Get ready for the next wave of super-soldiers designed to protect America's vital interests. But is this all that Director Nick Fury is up to, or is there much more to this ultra-clandestine program? And can even S.H.I.E.L.D. keep all these super-people under control? Collects Ultimates Annual #1; Ultimate Fantastic Four Annual #1; Ultimate X-Men Annual #1; Ultimate Spider-Man Annual #1.

I wonder if the UFF and UXM annuals are still being published in their own titles trades?

ProjectX2 said:
I wonder if the UFF and UXM annuals are still being published in their own titles trades?

It'll freaking suck if they aren't. I guess we'll have to wait and see? :?

Amazon.com said:
In Ultimate X-Men Annual #1, it's the return of Ultimate Juggernaut! Juggie makes a play for the Gem of Cyttorak, the jewel that will make him truly unstoppable. Only two small things stand in his way: Rogue and Gambit, the new prince and princess of thieves!

It's a sad thing when the premise to a story describes a better story than the one actually published. This would've been much better than the pointless bull**** we got for the actual annual.

The Ultimates 2 Vol. 2 TPB and hardcover will not be complete if they don't include the annual.

This is a dumb idea. Place them in with the regular issues in TPBs.

Bass said:
It's a sad thing when the premise to a story describes a better story than the one actually published. This would've been much better than the pointless bull**** we got for the actual annual.

I didnt think that the Ultimate X-Men annual was bad at all. It was pretty good. It could have been better if it was a regular story arc, but I think it was better than THE ULTIMATES Annual.

I hope they rethink this idea. It makes no sense. The only annual that was decent was the Ultimates annual and I sure as hell couldn't see someone paying 10 bucks to reread it in TPB form. But then again, people seem to like the Spiderman annual, which I can't ****ing fathom.

UltimateE said:
The Ultimates 2 Vol. 2 TPB and hardcover will not be complete if they don't include the annual.

I agree.

UltimateE said:

I think its a good idea AS LONG as they still put them in the respective titles' TPB, too.

UltimateE said:

Only if Hitch gets to redraw it when he's ready :)

Millar made a big stink about it, if I recall correctly. Something about not wanting to interupt the story with different art. Still, I don't understand why you couldn't just put the Annual at the end of the TPB/HC. That way it doesn't interrupt the art.

I agree with E, though. This is fine if we still get the Annuals in the regular TPBs and HCs. The Ultimates 2 HC will not be complete without the Annual.

I don't understand Marvel's logic in releasing them all together. A lot of fans only read a specific Ultimate title, and are probably only interested in the one specific Annual. I think it makes much more sense to release it within that title's trade run at some point. Matter of fact, I could see the USM Annual being released with the Warriors or Silver Sable trade (though admittedly that would be one of the bigger USM trades, even bigger than the Ultimate Six trade), the UFF being released with the Think Tank trade (as that was only two issues anyway and would help to "pad" that TPB up some...though I think I read they might be doing this anyway), the UXM Annual to be released with the UXM Hard Lesson/Shock and Awe TPB (as thats only 3 issues) and naturally the Ultimates Annual with the Ultimates 2 Vol. 2 trade. Just makes more sense that way to me. Though maybe Marvel is counting on fans and their completist natures picking up the Annuals trade, hoping they might find the other Annuals appealing and leading to them buying other titles. Who knows?

Well, think of the Annuals like a story arc. They're collecting the story arc in a TPB, like they always do. It's the only reason I can think of, besides the reason people will come up with that is making more money.

But like I said, it don't matter, s'long as they're doing it in respective trades AND in its single TPB.

icemastertron said:
Well, think of the Annuals like a story arc. They're collecting the story arc in a TPB, like they always do. It's the only reason I can think of, besides the reason people will come up with that is making more money.

But like I said, it don't matter, s'long as they're doing it in respective trades AND in its single TPB.

Yeah, but the Annuals together don't count as a story arc, they're all completely unrelated stories from different titles, so it doesn't make much sense to collect them together, even if they are self-contained in themselves. I might be wrong, but this will probably be the first case of collecting unrelated stories from separate titles like that.

But like you said, if they're going to release them both in respective titles trades and in their own TPB, its fine. I just don't see many people choosing the collected Annuals TPB over the title specific trades collecting the Annuals, you know?

DIrishB said:
I don't understand Marvel's logic in releasing them all together. A lot of fans only read a specific Ultimate title

DIrishB said:
Though maybe Marvel is counting on fans and their completist natures picking up the Annuals trade, hoping they might find the other Annuals appealing and leading to them buying other titles. Who knows?

Bingo. I can't decide if I think it will work. I would think that most people, if they know what the Annuals are, would just ignore them rather than spend $15 to read a bunch of books they have no interest in.

And even for the ones that do, 2 out of the 4 Annuals were bad enough that I can't see them drawing in any new readers (UFF and UXM).

UltimateE said:
Bingo. I can't decide if I think it will work. I would think that most people, if they know what the Annuals are, would just ignore them rather than spend $15 to read a bunch of books they have no interest in.

And even for the ones that do, 2 out of the 4 Annuals were bad enough that I can't see them drawing in any new readers (UFF and UXM).

I have a feeling its not going to work as I listed before...depends totally on if they release only the one TPB collecting them, or also release them in the individual titles' respective TPBs.

Lynx said:
Millar made a big stink about it, if I recall correctly. Something about not wanting to interupt the story with different art.

if thats true i'd like an answer from millar as to why i got the ultimate 6 tpb with the usm sandman issue in it? cause thats different artwork too...

/edit: and totally out of sequence

and for the same arguement, i read ultimates issue by issue, and usm by tpb, i picked up every issue of ultimate 6 because the ultimates were in it, imagine my anger when i found out to read the sandman issue, i had to buy one of the more costly tpbs produced with 8 comics in it that i already had JUST to get the sandman issue... the same situation would be true if they put all the annuals together, rebuy 3 i have to get the 4th i wanted to wait off on til it was put out in tpb

Last edited:
big danny d said:
if thats true i'd like an answer from millar as to why i got the ultimate 6 tpb with the usm sandman issue in it? cause thats different artwork too...
Yeah, you'd have to ask Bendis that since he wrote both. :roll:

I think a big Hardcover that collected Ultimates 2 and the annual would be fine if it went like this: After you read #6, "The Defenders", the end of the "Gods and Monsters" arc, it says on a black page, "We will now take a brief intermission." and then we have the annual. We are prepared for the jump in art because we know it's an intermission. Also, because of the story itself, it doesn't majorly feature the Ultimates, we know it's not part of the main story, but a sidetrack. It's not like it would bleed in. Then, one the annual is over, it says on a black page, "We now return you to The Ultimates 2." and then we get Grand Theft America. I don't see the problem.

Latest posts

Back