Spider-Man Spider-Man: HoM disscusion with #1-3 recap. (SPOILERS)

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
Just for a general recap:

Alright, so we already know that Uncle Ben, Captain Stacy, and Gwen are alive here. Peter's married to Gwen with a kid, having Captain George Stacy as his father-in-law. Peter is a celebrity being Spider-Man the wrestler, Spider-Man the actor, and a business man with his Spider-Man business overall.

Mary Jane: Just an actress

J. Jonah Jameson: Peter's publisist

Rhino: Peter's bodyguard

Green Goblin: Peter's wrestling partner, Crusher Hogan. Green Goblin is also the baddy, but that'll get explained later.

Venom: From the looks of it, just a character made up for the Spider-Man movie.

Vulture, Ox, & Electro: Friends of Rhino (who were or are in some type of gang, cant remember at the moment).

Recap of issues:

Ok, so the mini begins exactly where House of M #1 ended. Peter wakes up to check up on his baby that was crying, and returns to bed with Gwen Stacy, his wife. Soon we learn that Ben Parker is alive, and never got shot and died. As Peter trains, Rhino is there since he is his bodyguard. Rhino's powers, of course, only come from the suit. And just to note, the whole world belives Spider-Man to be a mutant, and not a DNA-tampered human. Humans are not well-loved. You gotta be a "high-level man" to get respect from mutants. Captain Stacy, for example, is respected because his son-in-law is a "mutant". At a showing for police officers, Jameson was turned away and mocked because he was a human. But when he said and showed proof he was the publisist of Spider-Man, he was let through. Captain Stacy was there to show off an invention that was going to be made for officers, the web-shooters. Overall, the idea was well loved.

During the time, Gwen Stacy had gone over to Oscorps and told Norman that his company was now owned by her and Peter. And every experiments and what not belonged to them, and he had nothing to do with it anymore.

At a party later on in the day, at Peter's place, as the guests were having fun, one was not. Jameson. Why? Because he was being treated like dirt. By Peter. Peter shows really no respect for Jameson, and Jameson was tired to keep being treated like that (In the 2nd or 3rd issue, it was revealed that Peter came to him and pulled him out of working at the Daily Bugle to work for him). At his place, the "Green Goblin" came and asked Jonah to help destroy Spider-Man's life. Of course, Jonah agreed.

Jonah was left in the City Dumps, he awoke to find himself with a book. But not just any book. It was a diary, a journal. It belonged to none other, than Peter Parker. Inside, it revealed that Peter was no mutant, but gained his powers through a spider's bite. This was all that was needed to bring down Spider-Man.

While this happened, Peter was on a talk show with Mary Jane. They were talking/promoting the Spider-Man movie. A piece of clip was shown, in which Mary Jane played Gwen Stacy, being about to be thrown off a bridge, but not by the Green Goblin, but by Venom.

Later on, (cant remember much now) but Peter and others found out what was going on. Peter sent Rhino to check up on Crusher Hogan, and Gwen checked up on Norman, checking about the stolen Goblin Glider.

By the time near the end of the issue, as Spider-Man was swinging by news TV's, Jonah had gone to the news to reveal the world Peter's true origin. Now the whole world knew that he was not a mutant.

Everyone hated Spider-Man/Peter Parker. His movie was cancelled, no one wanted to do with anything that was in relation to Spider-Man. And to make things worse, Rhino had beaten Hogan to near death, and a little kid was almost killed as well, for still wearing a Spider-Man shirt. Jonah was still on TV spilling Peter's darkest secret, even one about wanting to kiss Liz Allen, and practicing on a pillow.

Not even Peter's family knew of the lie. NONE of them. Stacy worried about the safety of the family, as he argued over with Ben. But Peter just left, with Gwen running after him. Peter disguised himself and visited the kid that was almost killed, but had to leave because Rhino was rampaging through the city, since he was also being saught after. Peter tried to stop him, but was stopped himself by the crowd throwing anything they found at him. Rhino fled into the sewers, where a few minutes later, the Goblin, not shown, but was there, 'recruited' Rhino to also help destroy Peter. Rhino told him to meet at a certain point later in the night.

When the Goblin arrived, Rhino was there with his friends, Vulture, Ox, and Electro. Rhino told them to kill the Green Goblin for messing up the best life he ever had. As they were attacking him, Gwen came in, and was told to leave if she valued her life by the Goblin. The Goblin was fighting back, but was soon over taken. They took his mask off to see who it was.

It was none other.....

.....than Peter Parker.

Last edited:
I'm loving this. And the clifhanger caught me completly off gaurd. I was expecting Gwen Stacy.

Seriously, I was.

Baxter said:
I'm loving this. And the clifhanger caught me completly off gaurd. I was expecting Gwen Stacy.

Seriously, I was.
Yeah, I was thinking her as a possiblity. But NEVER did I see that ending coming. I mean, I liked, "WO! :shock:"-'ed about a couple times before closing the issue.

Pandrio said:
you probably know it better than me cause i didnt even read HoM, just the Spidey mini, but thats the impression i got
I'm pretty cure its just the one kid too.

Ok, I'd not 'acquired' the most recent issue yet, and that's one hell of an ending, and totally plausible for peter. he is so wracked with guilt over everything he's done to put his family in jeopardy, or course his worst enemy would be himself. And also, despite the reality changes, at some level Peter would know that he wasn't living the life that he really had, or perhaps deserved, and would make some attempt to destroy it. Out of all the heroes marvel has to offer, I have always felt that Spider-men was the most honest.

Oh, and excellent write-up Ice, thank you.

Guijllons said:
Ok, I'd not 'acquired' the most recent issue yet, and that's one hell of an ending, and totally plausible for peter. he is so wracked with guilt over everything he's done to put his family in jeopardy, or course his worst enemy would be himself. And also, despite the reality changes, at some level Peter would know that he wasn't living the life that he really had, or perhaps deserved, and would make some attempt to destroy it. Out of all the heroes marvel has to offer, I have always felt that Spider-men was the most honest.
Awesome way to put it. :)

Guijllons said:
Oh, and excellent write-up Ice, thank you.
Thanks. Your welcome. :)

What makes the cliffhanger so much greater is the fact that there's still TWO issues left, not one. So hopefully, all 5, when read together, will feel like a story with a first act (1-3) and a second act (4-5), which is so much better than having everything build up to the final issue. I was almost to the point of not caring about this mini, but #3 really kicked things up a notch.

Nice job Ice. Sounds interesting...I might have to pick it up in TPB.

UltimateE said:
Nice job Ice.
Thanks. :)

UltimateE said:
Sounds interesting...I might have to pick it up in TPB.
It's worth it. First issue is a good set-up, and the second is better than the first. The 3rd rocks them all. So hopefully the last two issues will rock as good, if not even more.

im really enjoying it so far... anyone know what else Mark Waid has written?

is anyone going to do this for iron man and fantastic four House of M??? because i will if no one else is.

Lithium said:

is anyone going to do this for iron man and fantastic four House of M??? because i will if no one else is.

Mark Waid has written Flash, Kingdom Come and a lot of Fantastic Four.

ProjectX2 said:
Mark Waid has written Flash, Kingdom Come and a lot of Fantastic Four.

Mark Waid's first 2 or 3 arcs on Fantastic 4 are some of the best comics ever made.

Lithium said:
Blaurgh! Baxter SMASH!

Mark Waid is one of comics most proliferic writers, and also commonly one of DCs top stabled. He wrote the transition of Wally West from sidekick to full fledged hero in The Flash, he wrote the superhero magnum opus Kingdom Come, he's the current writer on the Legion of Supoerheros, which while I haven't read I've yet to hear a bad word about it, and to top that all off he was one of the writers that worked cloest with Grant Morrison on the JLA revamps, taking over for him once he left the title and giving ul Tower of Babel, my personal favorite JLA storyline. His marvel work includes an excellent Fantastic Four run (the first issue alone was everything the FF should be.), and Captain America. He's also got a creator owned book called Empire thats a damn fine read too.

I've got to run now, but when I get back I'll go into his co-writer Tom Peyer, one of my favorites out there.

Ok, I haven't read this, but I've paged through some of it. Why does Peter have no hair?

Latest posts

Back