Hollywood

Looking back, how would you rate "Hollywood"?

Votes: 1 5.0%

Votes: 11 55.0%

Votes: 6 30.0%

Votes: 2 10.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

E

Excelsior Club
Just for my own curiosity - how would you rate the Hollywood arc? I'm curious because I thought it was the last really good arc (at least until Warriors, which is great so far), but a lot of you seem to think that was the first in a string of really bad ones.

Looking back, what do you think?

i liked it, but i've liked everything since, ( except maybe the FF team-up issues)

I'll have to repost when I get the HC #5, but I wasn't terribly impressed. The flight crap sucked to me, and the whole thing was an obvious POS to play off Spider-Man 2. I would have liked it better, like that body swap arc, if it had just come more naturally, rather than being forced on us because of outside events.

UltimateE said:
Just for my own curiosity - how would you rate the Hollywood arc? I'm curious because I thought it was the last really good arc (at least until Warriors, which is great so far), but a lot of you seem to think that was the first in a string of really bad ones.

Looking back, what do you think?

I don't think it was bad, just the beginning of the dip in quality on the title. Actually, in my opinion, since the Legacy arc, the title has been notoriously hit and miss.

My ratings of titles, based on a five star system:

Power & Responsibility *****
Learning Curve ****
Double Trouble ****
Legacy ***
Public Scrutiny ****
Venom ***
Geldoff **
Cats & Kings ***
Hollywood ***
Carnage **
Superstars *
Hobgoblin **
Warriors *** (so far)

You know, we should put together a series of thread for reviews of each titles different arcs, with a rating system like this one.

Oh I don't know how to rate it out of five, I'm hardly Bendis' greatest advocate anyway. But I thought it was humourous, though not overly witty. I enjoyed it on a base level. I certainly enjoyed it more than some of the earlier arcs and absolutely more than some later ones.

Guijllons said:
Oh I don't know how to rate it out of five, I'm hardly Bendis' greatest advocate anyway. But I thought it was humourous, though not overly witty. I enjoyed it on a base level. I certainly enjoyed it more than some of the earlier arcs and absolutely more than some later ones.

I agree on the later arcs, but I personally see the earlier arcs as some of the best.

Guijllons said:
But as I said, I'm not really a Bendis fan, his great and his poor are a very narrow comparison to me.

I'm really not a fan of his either, I mean I like Ultimate Spider-Man, and it was the first Ultimate title I started reading, but I think overall, Ultimate X-Men (especially lately), Ultimate Fantastic Four, and obviously the Ultimates are better titles. I'm just saying comparing his own arcs against his others, his earlier USM titles just were easier to like.

and before the post counts are turned off...yay, 1,500 posts (even though this is one of the reasons E wants to get rid of it).

DIrishB said:
I'm really not a fan of his either, I mean I like Ultimate Spider-Man, and it was the first Ultimate title I started reading, but I think overall, Ultimate X-Men (especially lately), Ultimate Fantastic Four, and obviously the Ultimates are better titles. I'm just saying comparing his own arcs against his others, his earlier USM titles just were easier to like.

and before the post counts are turned off...yay, 1,500 posts (even though this is one of the reasons E wants to get rid of it).
(I hit 2000 last week and not a peep :()
Yeah, i can compare against his own work, but that's hardly a scale of how much i enjoyed the books. Perhaps more of a scale of how little they disappointed. So, anyway, that's why no rating.

I really like Hollywood. It was fun, had Doc Ock portrayed as the proper sadist he is, took a few jabs at the movie, and ended with the Gwen Stacy bit.

I just thought of something, I pick up USM in Hardcover, and they're puting out issues twice a month quite a bit. Now thats cool, but I seem to be drifting away faster and faster. I mean I haven't even read Carnage yet, and we're coming up on the mid point in Warriors.

Power & Responsibility ****
Learning Curve *****
Double Trouble *****
Legacy *****
Public Scrutiny ****
Venom ***
Geldoff **
Cats & Kings ***
Hollywood ***
Carnage **
Superstars *
Hobgoblin **
Warriors - dropped!

You might have to pick up Warriors again Marvelman, this is supposedly where all the stuff is becoming good again.

I hated Hollywood. It sucked. But not as much as Hobgoblin.

marvelman said:
Warriors - dropped!

Give it a chance if you haven't...it's much improved. I promise.

hardball

its hard to judge this arc for me because it had its moments, some issues really shined while others were a quick flip through. The beginning and end issues were the best to me because they were the most realistic. Not only realistic but well written, the action in between was repetitive and took away from the story because it appears as though things went by so slow because the action happened so fast.

Doc Ock alone was not strong enough to carry the arc but as others have said, this was probably done to play off the movie coming out. id be nice and give it 3 out of 5, which isnt bad, but considering the overall standard for me for the quality i expect on this title is 3.5 or higher thats sorta low. Its an arc i could easily forget and not care to recollect save for the issues i mentioned.

I actually enjoyed this arc quite a bit as it was an interesting take on the movie version. Certainly something that I've never seen done before, especially since the images of the actual people involved in the production were used.

I'm a little confused as to why people are so down on Bendis. To be honest, USM was the only title I did originally read when I started up with the Ultimate line because I felt not enough had been done to the character to warrent the rewrite. Many months later, I ended up picking up around twenty issues for a buck a piece and sat down and read several arcs back to back. I find Bendis writing, while not up to par with Frank Miller (for example), he is certainly better in most regards to a lot of crap that can be found on the market today. He is actually funny and the interactions between Peter, MJ and the rest of the cast feel honest and real. Considering that he is writing about teenagers (mostly) I think he is doing a very good job. I particularly get a kick out of the fact that Peter frequently is seen screaming like a lunatic while in the middle of his fighting, a simple ploy that really hammers home the fact that he is not used to combat or high wire gymnastics, no matter what he is capable of. (Personally, I think the guy should sign up for fighting lessons with the Ultimates or someone like that.)

Latest posts

Back