Avengers Hulkling and Asgardian - are they or aren't they?

E

Excelsior Club
I don't think this has been posted here yet. Or anywhere for that matter.

Allan Heinberg at the "Gays in Comics" panel at San Diego Comic-Con revealed that yes, Hulkling and Asgardian are boyfriends. He wasn't planning on making it part of the story until issue 12 or so, and was a little shocked that everyone got the innuendo that the artist put in so quickly.

http://www.comicboards.com/avengers/view.php?trd=050720043047

Interesting.I,personally, support the idea although I can see some bigots flat-out opposing the idea.Heinberg's a great writer,and he can be trusted to pull this off.A brave move on Marvel's part and one to be commended.

Suprisingly,I didn't notice the signs in #1 that people picked up on.

Eh. Not too concerend about it really. Of course you've got to wonder if any relationship involving a shapeshifter could be comepletly mono-sexual in nature.

Well, you've really got to worry now...

After seeing Northstar get butchered, do these characters stand a chance of surviving?

Meh. Its a pity that its that huge a deal. Confirmation is nice rather than beating around the bush though (no pun intended).

This is perfectly fine, except for the fact that now the entire team will be made up of couples: Iron Lad/Ant-Girl, Patriot/Kate, and now Hulkling/Asgardian.

I'm surprised this didn't come up as a thread for discussion earlier.

Or did I miss it?

I'm completely against this.

Where's the exploitation? Where's the inability to look past someone's sexuality? These characters have dimensions that aren't related to their sexuality, and that's just complete hollywood bollocks. We all know, if Will & Grace have taught us anything, that when someone is gay, they can't shut up about how they're gay for more than a minute. It's in the genetic material. Since, Hulkling and Asgardian have barely mentioned their relationship, or even he concept that they might be gay, it can only mean that the writer has decided that there is more to those characters than who they ****. Boo I say. Boo.

Unless, of course, he's too scared to make them really gay. In which case, he's doing the right thing by keeping gay people in their place.

And now, for the non-ironic statement, or "translation": I had no idea they were gay. He's actually writing characters that happen to be gay, rather than gay characters. There's more to them, and there's no gratuity by exploiting the taboo. Kudos to the Heinberg blimp on that one.

Bass said:

Where's the exploitation? Where's the inability to look past someone's sexuality? These characters have dimensions that aren't related to their sexuality, and that's just complete hollywood bollocks. We all know, if Will & Grace have taught us anything, that when someone is gay, they can't shut up about how they're gay for more than a minute. It's in the genetic material. Since, Hulkling and Asgardian have barely mentioned their relationship, or even he concept that they might be gay, it can only mean that the writer has decided that there is more to those characters than who they ****. Boo I say. Boo.

Unless, of course, he's too scared to make them really gay. In which case, he's doing the right thing by keeping gay people in their place.
I give you negative 8,000 points for having to translate your own irony.

I'm surprised Allan Heinberg did this. I thought TV writers were incapable of writing anything gay that doesn't involve a Queer Eye/Will & Grace reference, such is the incestuous nature of television writing.

God. I hate Will & Grace.

I knew they were gay and I'm fine with it. I just hope Marvel doesn't do what they did to Northstar.

Last edited:
Bass said:

And now, for the non-ironic statement, or "translation": I had no idea they were gay. He's actually writing characters that happen to be gay, rather than gay characters. There's more to them, and there's no gratuity by exploiting the taboo. Kudos to the Heinberg blimp on that one.

:lol:

You ironic bastard.

ourchair said:
God. I hate Will & Grace.
It's a despicable show. They take cliched sitcom plots but make the main character gay and think it's funny. Bollocks is it.

Bass said:
It's a despicable show. They take cliched sitcom plots but make the main character gay and think it's funny. Bollocks is it.
Yes, it's a whole damn lot of balderdash. The fact that it still exists is testament to how much homosexuality remains a "novelty device" in pop culture. I wish it'd just get the cancellation it so richly deserves.

ourchair said:
Yes, it's a whole damn lot of balderdash. The fact that it still exists is testament to how much homosexuality remains a "novelty device" in pop culture. I wish it'd just get the cancellation it so richly deserves.

The thing that scares me is that it tied "Desperate Housewives" for the most Emmy nominations this year, with 15!!!!! :x :x :x :x :x Seriously, what the ****?! If the show was ever any good, any person can tell you that this was its weakest season, what with the terrible plotlines, and the NEED for crappy gueststars.

But back on topic.

Bass said:

And the sad thing is that it keeps on winning GLAAD awards, just because its one of the few shows with gay characters.

Latest posts

Back