Uff #21 Discussion (spoilers)

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I read most of this in the preview. I wish they referred to some kind of Ultimate Kang that would've made those time bandits clutch. but we got what we had. They stopped them, The Ultimates Congratulated them, The Media loves them and Dr. Storm was pissed.

Sue gets mad at Reed for losing himself in his work. Then Reed talks to Alternate Reed.... and gets ready for his jump to an alternate place.

What is crossover? What Reed Richards was Ultimate Reed talking too? A Reed tells him about his relationship with Sue and his future son, Franklin. Also talks about the differences between their two FF teams.

Turns out he's been tricked and he ends up in a deserted place and is attacked by Fantastic Four zombies... no, I'm not kidding. Why am I happy about this?

My theory.... Hopefully if they're smart this dead earth will be what's left of Galactus coming... Someone please tell me it wouldn't be cool and it wouldn't make sense? What if Magneto somehow survived it too with a pocket full of some other people? Maybe there's a classic FF villain behind all of this? I really am hopeing for a tie in to the Ultimate Trilogy though.

BTW THE ART IS AMAZING!

I knew something was up with this Reed. I had a gut feeling that he wasnt just going to be another alternate Reed with a problem, but rather, he IS the problem. Well, 1/4 of it. :D

And the art of course is great. Greg Land has been a favorite for a good while now, and he has not stopped disapointing. I love Greg Land. What great guy this artist is! I would love to see him do Ultimate X-Men! :p

Cant wait to see how this turns out! 8)

icemastertron said:
And the art of course is great. Greg Land has been a favorite for a good while now, and he has not stopped disapointing.

I really never usually bother picking people up for their typos, but this one had me in stitches, sorry... :wink:

icemastertron said:
Im sorry, but what typos? :sure:

A misspelling. He was pointing out that you spelled "disappointing" wrong.

moonmaster said:
A misspelling. He was pointing out that you spelled "disappointing" wrong.

No, I didn't even notice that. It was the saying that Greg Land "hasn't stopped disappointing" which got me giggling.

Sounds cool. Go pick up the first trade of Sojourn Ice. It's drawn by Greg Land and is set in a LOTR-like universe.

You'll like it.

icemastertron said:
Oh for the love of God, one freaking letter.... :roll:

No no no - he's laughing because you said "hasn't stopped disappointing" when you obviously meant something along the lines of "hasnt' disappointed" or "hasn't stopped impressing." Get it now? Ease up - he's just kidding. :wink:

On to the issue....

Wow.

This issue is one of the best Ultimate issues ever. Certainly the best Ultimate issue not titled "Ultimates".

Holding the first lifeform out of the ocean hostage? Pure genius. This is exactly the high-flying over the top stuff that UFF should have been from the get-go. Mark Waid, in my opinion, wrote some of the best FF stories of all time, and this builds right off that. Fun, adventurous, and totally fitting of what this book should be.

Greg Land....I think I have a new favorite artist (sorry Bryan Hitch). Best Sue Storm ever - wow :shock: . Everyone looks great, really. And the colors work perfectly with the art.

Let give a big fat "toldjaso" in regards to UFF Reed meeting 616 Reed. I knew they weren't going to do it, and I told you guys, but you still *****ed about it. Can't wait to see what's up with these zombies. MwoF I like your post-Gah Lak Tus theory a lot but I don't think that's what it will be since we don't have the full Gah Lak Tus story yet. But if it is I certainly won't be complaining.

A+ for this issue. Perfect. I want to frame this and put it on my wall.

UltimateE said:
No no no - he's laughing because you said "hasn't stopped disappointing" when you obviously meant something along the lines of "hasnt' disappointed" or "hasn't stopped impressing." Get it now? Ease up - he's just kidding. :wink:

On to the issue....

Wow.

This issue is one of the best Ultimate issues ever. Certainly the best Ultimate issue not titled "Ultimates".

Holding the first lifeform out of the ocean hostage? Pure genius. This is exactly the high-flying over the top stuff that UFF should have been from the get-go. Mark Waid, in my opinion, wrote some of the best FF stories of all time, and this builds right off that. Fun, adventurous, and totally fitting of what this book should be.

Greg Land....I think I have a new favorite artist (sorry Bryan Hitch). Best Sue Storm ever - wow :shock: . Everyone looks great, really. And the colors work perfectly with the art.

Let give a big fat "toldjaso" in regards to UFF Reed meeting 616 Reed. I knew they weren't going to do it, and I told you guys, but you still *****ed about it. Can't wait to see what's up with these zombies. MwoF I like your post-Gah Lak Tus theory a lot but I don't think that's what it will be since we don't have the full Gah Lak Tus story yet. But if it is I certainly won't be complaining.

A+ for this issue. Perfect. I want to frame this and put it on my wall.

You pretty much stole exactly what I was going to post, except mine would've been way less intelligent-sounding. (See what I mean? :p ) A+ for me too, but what the hell was up with the giant maggot?! I laughed so much and I didn't even understand it!

LETTERS PAGE is BACK! Now, I wonder if Ultimates 2 will start one.......

UltimateE said:

Definitly agree about Land's work, its amazing.

Let give a big fat "toldjaso" in regards to UFF Reed meeting 616 Reed. I knew they weren't going to do it, and I told you guys, but you still *****ed about it.

I loved this part most of all. For months now the internet has been abuzz about this arc and the Ultimate FF metting the 616 FF. I actually wouldn't have minded it so much if the story was well done. But Millar played the "ultimate" prank on everyone with this issue. The whole alternate Reed mentioning how him and Sue are married with two kids, Franklin and Valeria. This is 616 to the T. Then him mentioning how his Ultimates are the Avengers, etc. Once we see Reed in the alternate Earth, where everything's dead, we know something's up. The last line "Ever get the feeling you've been had?" by Reed is a direct jab by Millar to all the people who whined about this on the boards for months. Not only did he hype the hell out of this arc with the 616/Ultimate crossover rumors (for chrissakes the arc is called Crossover!) but he played along with it even in the issue, right up until the last few pages. Brilliant if you ask me. Its comparable to the way Millar's "Wanted" ended, but done much better IMO.

Can't wait to see what's up with these zombies. MwoF I like your post-Gah Lak Tus theory a lot but I don't think that's what it will be since we don't have the full Gah Lak Tus story yet. But if it is I certainly won't be complaining.

I agree about the Galactus theory MWoF, but how would that explain the zombies? Maybe Magneto surviving and keeping other people alive helped some live after the attack, but for some reason they turn into zombies? Ahh, I don't know, but I don't think they'd tie it in with the Gah Lak Tus trilogy. Would be cool if they did, but I don't think it'll happen.

Defitnetly agree about that last line, DIrishB. I also believe its Millar also telling those guys who thought it was 616 FF. I mean come on, if this was REALLY true, Marvel WOULD NEVER say anything about it. They would never play the "double-bluff" card. That line is just perfect.

icemastertron said:
Defitnetly agree about that last line, DIrishB. I also believe its Millar also telling those guys who thought it was 616 FF. I mean come on, if this was REALLY true, Marvel WOULD NEVER say anything about it. They would never play the "double-bluff" card. That line is just perfect.

Exactly my reasoning, but I can't wait to see how this arc continues.

ultimatedjf said:
what the hell was up with the giant maggot?!

I was wondering the same thing...

I liked the start of the arc. and the art work looks nice.

but I was wondering, is this the real UFF? some things make me think that the team we saw has been changed due to their time travel.

(1) as the Thing said what was the deal with the large maggot on the lab floor? where did that come from, or was it just a random visual gag?

(2) the shot with the T-Rex was funny. but again, was it just a visual gag, or did it somehow change things?

(3) I know Reed is brilliant, but he just suddenly developed a time machine. a time machine! I know, I know suspend disbelieve. but it seems to me the whole time machine was just a bit too casual.

so anyway, I am proably overthinking it, but it seems to me that we may be seeing an alternate UFF interacting with an alternate FF. :)

Wamu said:
(3) I know Reed is brilliant, but he just suddenly developed a time machine. a time machine! I know, I know suspend disbelieve. but it seems to me the whole time machine was just a bit too casual.

Casually mentioning these life-changing inventions was a staple of early Mark Waid Fantastic Four. I like it - stuff like that you'd think would change the world and it's almost like it's mentioned in passing. :D

I wonder if Thing's beating up the T.Rex has anything to do with the alternate reality FF in light of Reed's warning?

There was a short story that came out years ago that dealt with someone who was time traveling and they accidently stepped on a butterfly after being warned that even a minor change such as moving a blade of grass or something would change the world, and after s/he came back the president was different and the English language was all mangled...what was the name of that story and wo wrote it?

I've heard of that story. Don't know the details though.

I'll be honest with you guys. I would love to see "Galactus" (Just ****ing say the name that's how it's going to be spelled sooner or later in the UU) come true. And if they were geniuses they'd somehow tie it in. But As much as I love comics they fall short many times and this probably won't happen. UFF has no political overtones and I have full faith in Millars writing so something good will come of this regardless. I'd love to see it tie in to the Galactus Trilogy but I'm happy with the issue and probably will be happy with the arc regardless...

I dont think they have to tie this in with the Gah Lak Tus trilogy. Really, I see no point in doing so. Its great on its own without the tie.

Latest posts

Back