Flame On!

ourchair

Just wondering... If Johnny Storm can light himself up on flames up to 1000 degrees Fahrenheit (not sure if that includes his Nova Flame power or not), why is he always depicted as on red or orange flames? Aren't the hottest and brightest of flames usually blue or white?

I'm sure Warren Ellis has a wanky explanation for that. :p

You know I always thought about that. I dont that they are ever going to show Johnny with blue flames it would take to long for them to explain why he's blue when he is in flame form.

Anyone scientists here know the different temperatures of flames that cause different colors?

UltimateE said:
Anyone scientists here know the different temperatures of flames that cause different colors?

Yes, at it's coolest, flames are orange as the FLAMES get HOTTER and HOTTER the colors get COOLER.... WOW I never thought that Lighting class at film school would come up in a comic book message board.

René said:
Yes, at it's coolest, flames are orange as the FLAMES get HOTTER and HOTTER the colors get COOLER.... WOW I never thought that Lighting class at film school would come up in a comic book message board.

I know that - But does anyone know the corrseponding temperatures? Like at what temp. does it turn orange? blue? white?

TheManWithoutFear said:
Why would it take too long?
Well, it wouldn't take long so much as people who forget to pay attention during science class would probably keep asking over and over why he's blue or white or whatever.

And on the other hand a flying blue dude with hot white flames crackling from his body sounds suspiciously like Superman when he became some kinda energy being.
UltimateE said:
As far as I know, it's red flames that are actually the coolest and white flames the hottest. I can't give you precise numbers on that, but...

An easy analogy is to think about astronomy and how we've been told in class that a star that is white is about to hit supernove (or the hottest its gonna get before it starts dying down) and years later its going to recede into a red dwarf before it dies and collapes on itself. Which is why our yellow sun isn't dying it's merely in its "Main Sequence" as Ellis calls it.

Stars just get hotter and hotter as they reach their "mid-lifespan" which is when they hit the nova peak and then get cooler again. Its like that whole "once you reach a certain age your body is just dying slowly" schtick.

UltimateE said:
I know that - But does anyone know the corrseponding temperatures? Like at what temp. does it turn orange? blue? white?

Yes at 1700-1900 K the flame is red. EX a Candle

at 2700-2900 K the flame is orange EX a Light Bulb

then at 4200-4900 K the flame is green EX Flourscent lights

then at 5500-5600 K the flame is blue EX Sun light

any thing past 56 it's white.

K=Kelvin degrees.... You should have learned about this in Chem class.

EDIT: It supposed t 5600 not 56000

Last edited:
I never took Chemistry. No practical application to my field of choice.

UltimateE said:
I never took Chemistry. No practical application to my field of choice.
You missed out. We created a mutant bush that we couldn't kill until our teacher gave us some concentrated nitric acid. We had to test it to make sure it would work and it burnt a hole through the reinforced bench. Thats about 15cm of metal covered in chemical resistant paint

I love chemistry.

René said:
Yes at 1700-1900 K the flame is red. EX a Candle

at 2700-2900 K the flame is orange EX a Light Bulb

then at 4200-4900 K the flame is green EX Flourscent lights

then at 5500-5600 K the flame is blue EX Sun light

any thing past 56 it's white.

K=Kelvin degrees.... You should have learned about this in Chem class.

EDIT: It supposed t 5600 not 56000
And for all you people who don't know what a K is that's "Kelvin". Subtract 273 and you get the equivalent temperature in Celsius. :D Science is fun!

*Goes off to make more crappy pseudoscience-based story ideas in the Baseless Speculation forum, because I think I am Warren Ellis*

ultimatedjf said:
It reminds me of the explanation stan lee had for why the hulk went from being gray to being green.

Well, yeah, here is your answer OurChair. Red and Orange are the two colors symbolic for fire... Unless there was a good reason, there's really no reason to change our Johnny's color.

ourchair said:
*Goes off to make more crappy pseudoscience-based story ideas in the Baseless Speculation forum, because I think I am Warren Ellis*

you're NOT Warren Ellis? :?

Man, why have I been sucking up to you?!

Now, where is that Brian Moonmaster Bendis guy and that Guijllons Millar bloke...

Bass said:
you're NOT Warren Ellis? :?

Man, why have I been sucking up to you?!

Now, where is that Brian Moonmaster Bendis guy and that Guijllons Millar bloke...
Oh Grant! Shame on you, blowing their cover like that... I know you're waaay ahead of schedule, writing those Seven Soldiers titles, but don't you have anything better to do with your time?

compound said:
Oh Grant! Shame on you, blowing their cover like that... I know you're waaay ahead of schedule, writing those Seven Soldiers titles, but don't you have anything better to do with your time?
Don't you know guys, we're all ridiculously famous comic book writers completely messing with you all? In fact, E is really Joe Quesada in disguise.

To PG-paraphrase Mark Millar, this is us screwing you up the ***.

ourchair said:
Don't you know guys, we're all ridiculously famous comic book writers completely messing with you all? In fact, E is really Joe Quesada in disguise.

To PG-paraphrase Mark Millar, this is us screwing you up the ***.
I love that paraphrasing Mark Millar activates the swear filter. Justifiably.

Caduceus said:
I love that paraphrasing Mark Millar activates the swear filter. Justifiably.
I think it is impossible to paraphrase the creator owned work of Mark Millar without activating the swear filter. Yet strangely enough, Grant Morrison seems more reliable for that.

ourchair said:
I think it is impossible to paraphrase the creator owned work of Mark Millar without activating the swear filter. Yet strangely enough, Grant Morrison seems more reliable for that.
Its the quiet ones you've got to watch out for...

Latest posts

Back