Ultimate Spider-Man # 75 Thoughts (spoilers)

Spoil please. I will not see this for a couple of months. Spoil, spoil!

ProjectX2 said:
Spoil please. I will not see this for a couple of months. Spoil, spoil!

I will, but around 6, gotta give people a chance to buy and read it....you know there are sites online that have bit torrent issues of comics....im not condoning it, but if you wont receive the issues for months...you know what im saying....

Solid start, Peter Garbage, MJ/Peter Garbage, and confuseing/crazy ending.

Good issue though.

Love the whole mini-oscorp. What I loved even more is Shaw's character. I find it a bit odd that he's so loyal to Osborne. I thought he was only doing this because he was payed a great deal of cash. But it seems he's genuinely Loyal. Seems like a inconsistancy with character, but I'm definitely not complaining. I hope Shaw turns into a major villain somewhere down the road, maybe a new original super-villain. But then the end had me concerned....

In the opening page did anyone notice the tentacles? If anyone is wondering how Doc Ock would get them back... :wink:
Also, all the extra Goblin suits/masks? What's up with that if he mutates into him why are those needed?

Peter Parker is boring. Peter Parker and MJ are boring. The only rise I got out of this was hopeing MJ was trying to play Peter into telling her where Harry's dad was. I don't think that was the case though.

Two questions about the end.

Was Shaw not really there? :evil: I'm really starting to like this guy and it seems like he's a figment of Harry's mind. That sucks.

Also looks like Harry's going to be the HG. How? Was I supposed to pick up that he was affected by the explosion? It doesn't make sense to me if he was. That means we have two Goblins and One Doc Ock... shouldn't we have Two Goblins and One Goblin with Tentacles?

I liked most of the issue so sick of Peter's whining and it going nowhere... and still mad that there's no action...

So I recommend it but not my favorite.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Solid start, Peter Garbage, MJ/Peter Garbage, and confuseing/crazy ending.

Good issue though.

Love the whole mini-oscorp. What I loved even more is Shaw's character. I find it a bit odd that he's so loyal to Osborne. I thought he was only doing this because he was payed a great deal of cash. But it seems he's genuinely Loyal. Seems like a inconsistancy with character, but I'm definitely not complaining. I hope Shaw turns into a major villain somewhere down the road, maybe a new original super-villain. But then the end had me concerned....

In the opening page did anyone notice the tentacles? If anyone is wondering how Doc Ock would get them back... :wink:
Also, all the extra Goblin suits/masks? What's up with that if he mutates into him why are those needed?

Peter Parker is boring. Peter Parker and MJ are boring. The only rise I got out of this was hopeing MJ was trying to play Peter into telling her where Harry's dad was. I don't think that was the case though.

Two questions about the end.

Was Shaw not really there? :evil: I'm really starting to like this guy and it seems like he's a figment of Harry's mind. That sucks.

Also looks like Harry's going to be the HG. How? Was I supposed to pick up that he was affected by the explosion? It doesn't make sense to me if he was. That means we have two Goblins and One Doc Ock... shouldn't we have Two Goblins and One Goblin with Tentacles?

I liked most of the issue so sick of Peter's whining and it going nowhere... and still mad that there's no action...

So I recommend it but not my favorite.

I am SOOOOOO waiting to comment on this....but i will wait..... Also:
notice you said harry looks like he will become the HG....yet you saw masks/suits... :wink:

The Captain said:
notice you said harry looks like he will become the HG....yet you saw masks/suits... :wink:

Masks and Suits of the GG and Harry was lighting up... he's definitely the HG. I have no doubt about it.

What about Shaw, captain? What do you think?

The Captain said:
Why are you waiting? This is a spoilers thread, comment away.

Hey, guys... I guess dreams do come true because I actually got the issue today!

First things first, Captain... You got your "75th Issue" sticker on the cover of it. I think it makes it look more official; I like it. Also, we outta give the cover a little more credit. Next to the awkward position Peter's in, it's not that bad.

I thought this issue was great... We got a little bit of everything in this issue. Flashbacks, relationship troubles, and it closed with some suspense. Each scene was worth it and completely relevant to all of what Bendis has introduced to us and in such a great way.

All right, to the interesting stuff... I know this will sound completely crazy, BUT, this is where the fun stuff comes in, so please if this has been said or if it doesn't need to be said, I'm sorry in advance.

Who here thinks that at that end scene, Shaw was only a figment of Harry's imigination. There was no explanation of how he got into the apartment and, when Spider-Man showed up, he asked Harry who he was talking to. Then, when Harry was getting shoved around by Shaw, Peter says "I don't know what to do." Naturally, if Shaw was there actually attacking him, Peter would fend for his helpless friend? I know they aren't the best of friends, but he wouldn't just sit back and watch what would happen if a person was getting beaten up in front of him.

Also, I'm guessing that the loose end in #1 was that Harry had the powers all along, too, and the phsycological stuff that Norman did to him was to tame the beast inside of him because he knew all along that he had that kind of power. Interesting...

Goodwill said:
Who here thinks that at that end scene, Shaw was only a figment of Harry's imigination. There was no explanation of how he got into the apartment and, when Spider-Man showed up, he asked Harry who he was talking to. Then, when Harry was getting shoved around by Shaw, Peter says "I don't know what to do." Naturally, if Shaw was there actually attacking him, Peter would fend for his helpless friend? I know they aren't the best of friends, but he wouldn't just sit back and watch what would happen if a person was getting beaten up in front of him.

Also, I'm guessing that the loose end in #1 was that Harry had the powers all along, too, and the phsycological stuff that Norman did to him was to tame the beast inside of him because he knew all along that he had that kind of power. Interesting...

Agreed. Damn that sucks. Does anyone else think that Shaw was great in this issue?

Second Point: Agreed, but it's a lame loose end.

I did actually think that Shaw struck me as a very cool character. I remember wishing that his name was a more recognizable characater's so he could become more important than what he is right now. Hell, may he's still got a shot, but with the cliff at the end of this one, I doubt that he's going to be the Hob.

Also, Bendis never said it was anything big... I'm sure he was never planning on having Harry have these powers way back when. I think he just put it together and got lucky with what he already had on his plate.

I totally called this, and I don't mean Harry being Hobgoblin, but how Harry became Hobgoblin. Don't know if you all remember but I theorized that Harry got his powers during the explosion at Oscorp and his powers have remained dormant all this time. I'll find the link to the thread so you can read the details.

DIrishB said:
I totally called this, and I don't mean Harry being Hobgoblin, but how Harry became Hobgoblin. Don't know if you all remember but I theorized that Harry got his powers during the explosion at Oscorp and his powers have remained dormant all this time. I'll find the link to the thread so you can read the details.

I remember it. Good deal. I just think it's a bad way to get the powers because it should have affected him differently... like it did Doc Ock.

I remember you saying something, Irish. Good call.

I'm not sure that they stayed dormant just because, though. I'm thinking his father and Shaw had something to do with the fact that they hadn't cropped up before. I'm thinking "cellar door" stops him from getting worked up and turning into the Hob.

Originally posted by DIrishB (2/13/05):

Hey all...quick question. At Osborn's lab, the night of the explosion during Norman's self-experimentation with the OZ formula from the first USM arc, wasn't Harry at the lab? I mean, the explosion/OZ had some undeniable side-effects on both Norman and Octavius, but Harry seemed to survive it unscathed...besides some moderate psychological trauma (this is a recurring theme in his character, due both to his own choices and his father's lack of concern...don't forget, Norman now thinks of Peter as his son...not Harry. Obviously, this will piss Harry off. DING DING DING, more fuel for the fire!!) Perhaps, now that he's returned to Midtown and finds out Peter and MJ are dating (#72), even though I'm not sure how he didn't remember talking to Peter about how he and MJ were dating in the "Legacy" arc (#22-27). Whatever, the obvious character motivations and abilities all work for Harry being Hobgoblin. I'm almost 100% possible Harry is Hobgoblin, though I suppose its possible Bendis might throw in a surprise ending revelation which kills all our speculation. Thats my theory though.

2/14/05
not yet...Point is, the explosion at Osborn's lab had direct psychological and physical effects on both Norman and Octavius. It also gave them superhuman powers, undoubtedly a side effect of their exposure to the OZ. Norman, who had injected himself with OZ directly already, became this super-strong, hulking Goblin who could throw fireballs from his hands and leap miles into the air. Doc Ock, who didn't have a direct exposure to the OZ, yet was obviously still in some way exposed and affected by it, maybe inadvertently through the explosion, then came out of the explosion in a coma for three months and awakens to find out he has a mental connection to his metal arms...another obvious superpower. Maybe Harry was affected by the blast in some way as well, but his powers have remained dormant. Or...maybe they have already surfaced, and we, as readers, just haven't been privy to the Hobgoblin's/Harry'y backstory yet. After all, Harry's been living God-knows-where for the past ("only?") 9 months, with a few visits back to Pete's life, most notably in the Legacy arc, and Ultimate Six. And those words he spoke to Peter at the end of the fight in Ultimate Six would surely make sense if Harry was indeed the Hobgoblin. Perhaps SHIELD has been housing Harry all this time, aware of a "genetic modification" in him as a result of the explosion at his father's lab, keeping an eye on him and his powers while they keep his father in cryo-stasis. Now Harry's returned to New York and Bendis is building up more motivations for his hatred of Peter/Spider-Man with this new MJ as Harry's secret girlfriend before she started dating Peter twist we got in #72. Thats my theory on the upcoming arc.

Man, now I get to join the club of fulfilled theories!! YAY!! Here's the link so you can check it out within the context of the discussion:

http://www.ultimatecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1133&page=5&pp=15

Originally posted by ManWithoutFear:

Also, all the extra Goblin suits/masks?

I thought that was a cool little surprise, with masks of the original 616 Goblin, the Ultimate Goblin, and the movie version.

Was Shaw not really there? I'm really starting to like this guy and it seems like he's a figment of Harry's mind. That sucks.

I was wondering about that too. Perhaps Shaw is just a figment of Harry's mind. Which sort of makes sense, perhaps Harry's been imaging him the whole time as a result of his hypno-therapy, and is now carrying out implanted instructions by Norman to become Hobgoblin and rescue Norman from SHIELD custody. Makes sense Norman would have a back-up plan. Though I'm a little disappointed, I'd have liked to see Shaw become a new villain for Spidey too. I know The Captain was probably a little pissed at this strange development, I know I was. Who knows though?

Originally posted by Goodwill:

Thats what I've been saying except for one thing...Bendis said it was a loose end from issue #1, but the explosion at Osborn labs didn't occur until the end of #3. So either Bendis messed up and meant the first arc, or the secret hasnt been revealed yet. However, I'm thinking it was the former.

I don't get the point of Shaw informing Harry about the truth 2 issues ago, only to erase it 5 minutes later in this issue. I'm a bit confused.

And also, why does Harry think his father is dead when Shaw clearly told him he was alive and that Peter knew all about where he was?

Lastly, why did Harry yell Cellar door at the end?

This is so confusing.

Ps: Did anyone else notice that Harry was watching AVP up in his apartment?

Ultimate Deception

alright, its time...
Hope everyone has read it

Dirish did call this....I have to give him that....looks like i was wrong about this :( but im glad to finally know now...(dammit bendis!!..you bald bastard!!)

Shaw is NOT hobgoblin based on the last page of the issue.....
Harry setting himself on fire looks like a transformation into the hobgoblin

apparently it looks as if harry already had the powers due to the explosion in the lab....whether or not that is the loose end is still unknown based on bendis statement....

what is not shown is why shaw appears in harrys mind....could it be that shaw some how gave harry some oz off panel??

shaw is getting very interesting....he rocked this issue as mwof said earlier...
his telepathy powers made me think of an evil charles xavier... and i dont think this is the last we have seen from him either..
is he a mutant? is he the ultimate version of sebastian shaw from the 616 universe? only time and (bendis) will tell..he probably isnt though....
but if he knows that harry was there, then wouldnt he have been there himself???? spells out that he will be a villain hands down!!
no action, but waaaaay better than 73.....next issue should be the issue everyone has really been waiting for since 72/74...

I give the issue a 4 out of 5 if not a 4 1/2....

And Goodwill, ill get to your comments shortly after i read the new Wizard..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back