Spider-Man Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows

Captain Canuck

The poster formerly known as captaincanuck65
Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows will replace Amazing Spider-Man during Secret Wars

Dan Slott said:
Spider-Man, when you get down to it, is a character about responsibility. And the second he's a father and a husband—he has a responsibility to share his powers with the world, but suddenly he has two people that are his whole world. That changes everything, the complete dynamic of what it means to have great power and great responsibility. You need to be there for your daughter, you need there for your wife—in a way that he hasn't had to be there for anyone else. And that drastically changes what it means to be Spider-Man.

If all you care about is Spidey, it's totally cool if you have no idea what's going on in Secret Wars…No matter who or what or how Spider-Man comics will be made in the future—elements from this story will go on into the next incarnation. Elements. Of this. Yes.

:shock: :rockon:

On one hand this is the Spider-Man comic I've been waiting for since OMD and I hope that it restores my love of Spider-Man (Spider-Man without romance is just terrible). On the other that could not be a worse creative team. Least favorite Marvel writer with my least favorite Marvel artist. I was really looking forward to this :(

Last edited:
Why is Adam Kubert your least favourite Marvel artist?

And I know you've said you don't like Slott, but why is he your least favourite Marvel writer?

I don't know about Spider-Man having a daughter, but I'm certainly glad he and MJ are back together. I guess he's going to be the older, adult, I've-got a-family Spider-Man and Miles can be the perpetually teenage struggles-with-his-dating-life Spider-Man. That's okay with me.

The only good Kubert was Joe Kubert. Andy and Adam's art just doesn't look good to me. Especially Ultimate X-Men. I don't really know how to describe what bothers me but part of it is how he'll draw faces. I can't really find examples through Google. I shouldn't have used least favorite, but I certainly don't care for their work.

Mayday was always my favorite Spider-Man and this is implying Aunt May finally croaked (which I've wanted for SO long it's not even funny) so I'm pretty damn happy. I really hope this sticks after Secret Wars.

The only good Kubert was Joe Kubert. Andy and Adam's art just doesn't look good to me. Especially Ultimate X-Men. I don't really know how to describe what bothers me but part of it is how he'll draw faces. I can't really find examples through Google. I shouldn't have used least favorite, but I certainly don't care for their work.
Fair enough. I just thought least favourite was a little strong. There are definitely worse artists.

Mayday was always my favorite Spider-Man
I loved Spider-Girl. I was an avid fan to the end. This daughter is obviously different though, or at least Mayday is set in a different timeline, since MCU Peter gave up being Spider-Man after he lost his leg in the final fight with Norman Osborn, shortly after May was kidnapped and returned by Kaine.
and this is implying Aunt May finally croaked (which I've wanted for SO long it's not even funny) so I'm pretty damn happy. I really hope this sticks after Secret Wars.

Finally croaked again, you mean. She's died twice already. But it does seem like if this is a reversal of OMD, then yes, she would really be dead this time. Not that I'm happy about that, but if Peter is married with children, I guess the role of Aunt May (family that ties him down and makes him worry) is sort of filled and she isn't necessary anymore - from a story-telling point of view, that is.

Preview for issue #1 is up

Ugh, I can't explain how much I want this to be the ongoing status quo after Secret Wars. Let Miles be the young single Spider-Man and Let Peter be married to MJ. But I just don't see that happening with the young Peter in the upcoming movies. Sigh.

Is anyone else reading this? I just read the first four issues yesterday. It's a weird story. Spider-Man
straight-up kills Venom
in the first issue and he swears in another issue (he says 'Damn it'- but still, that's literally the first time I've seen Spidey use any kind of swear word).

Not to mention that the whole concept is sort of weird. But it's a decent story, and I love Love LOVE reading Peter Parker married to MJ again. And I like their daughter. And I want Peter and MJ to be married again when the dust from Secret Wars settles.

I didn't think Venom died by Peter directly. It came out four months ago though. And Peter has cussed before. I LOVED this story though, easily the best Spider-Man Slott has ever written.

Last edited:
Is anyone else reading this? I just read the first four issues yesterday. It's a weird story. Spider-Man
straight-up kills Venom
in the first issue and he swears in another issue (he says 'Damn it'- but still, that's literally the first time I've seen Spidey use any kind of swear word).

Not to mention that the whole concept is sort of weird. But it's a decent story, and I love Love LOVE reading Peter Parker married to MJ again. And I like their daughter. And I want Peter and MJ to be married again when the dust from Secret Wars settles.

I didn't think Venom died by Peter directly. It came out four months ago though. And Peter has cussed before. I LOVED this story though, easily the best Spider-Man Slott has ever written.

Yeah, the whole thing with Venom was more like the moment in Batman Begins with Batman/Ra's. "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you either."

Also, Wyo is right. Peter has cursed in the past. He did it A LOT during Brand New Day where every other word in a lot of issues was censored because he was swearing.

Last edited:
And that's not even Ultimate

ultimate-spider-man-67-2004-cursing.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't think Venom died by Peter directly. It came out four months ago though.

Yeah, the whole thing with Venom was more like the moment in Batman Begins with Batman/Ra's. "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you either."

Nope. He straight up murdered him. MJ yelled in that the building was clear so Spidey took out a main support pillar so the flaming building would fall on Venom and kill him.
And Peter has cussed before. I LOVED this story though, easily the best Spider-Man Slott has ever written.
Also, Wyo is right. Peter has cursed in the past. He did it A LOT during Brand New Day where every other word in a lot of issues was censored because he was swearing.

And that's not even Ultimate

ultimate-spider-man-67-2004-cursing.jpg
haha, okay, fair enough. I don't remember the BND run. I was just mad about Spider-Man in general at that point. I guess I tend to think of Spidey as the kid friendly hero, so when he swears (even mildly) or gets dark/violent (which, I know happens) it seems weird.

Nah, you just really don't want to piss off Peter. Remember when he beat Kingpin to half an inch of his life? Back In Black was full of angry Spider-Man.

tumblr_inline_n1r9esEcHi1s16be1.jpg

Last edited:
So apparently this is coming back and will run concurrently with the normal ASM title and The Clone Conspiracy mini. (along with all the other Spider-titles) starting in October.

Latest posts

Back