No more (new) mutants

E

Excelsior Club
Something unreported however until now, was when asked about creating new characters, Chris Claremont said,

"I have to say quite honestly as I understand it now the X department is forbidden to create new characters.

(SHOCK RESPONSE)

"Well… who owns them?

"All because all new characters become the film property of Fox.

"There will be no X-Men merchandising for the foreseeable future because, why promote Fox material?"

Forty-two minutes in… but you should listen to the whole thing. Chris Claremont currently writes the X-Men comic book Nightcrawler, with a new issue out tomorrow.

We have reported this character-creating issue before now, but this is the first time I've heard an X-book creator confirm it publicly. We've also been told though that if you can create new characters under the guise of a Marvel Now style event, then they can be attributed to Marvel Now and not to an Xbook… so Marvel gets to keep the film rights.

Source

Makes sense. Depending on the agreement with Fox and their rights as far as adapting existing stories for film, why would Marvel want to write their movies for them?

I wonder if this was the original story from when rumors were swirling about all of the X-books being cancelled and someone confused it.

The only new mutants I can think of anyways is Shark Girl, The dude with three thousand eyes, some crab kid and a guy called Snot.

So, not the best anyways.

The only new mutants I can think of anyways is Shark Girl, The dude with three thousand eyes, some crab kid and a guy called Snot.

So, not the best anyways.
Shark Girl is cool.

There's also the mutants that Bendis created, which came after them. But they're mutants FOX wouldn't want to use anyways because of similar powers to others, not powers that are flashy or whatever.

Source Makes sense. Depending on the agreement with Fox and their rights as far as adapting existing stories for film, why would Marvel want to write their movies for them? I wonder if this was the original story from when rumors were swirling about all of the X-books being cancelled and someone confused it.

I'm sure this is part of the beef between Marvel and Fox. While they're probably not going to outright cancel the X-Men related books due to them being reliably popular, the fact they're killing off Wolverine and Deadpool, along with not releasing X-Men related merchandise, does indicate Marvel is taking a hardline with Fox regarding the X-Men and FF film properties that Fox owns. So a reduction in those related books/characters (or outright end for the time being in regards to FF), no more related merchandise, etc.

Marvel obviously really wants those rights back. I'm surprised there aren't rumblings behind the scenes of Marvel/Disney attempting to buy back the rights from Fox, though given Fox's plans over the next 5 years or so I doubt they'd be willing to sell those rights back for anything Marvel/Disney is willing to pay. Add on top of that the tension between the companies, and it seems like X-Men and FF will remain with Fox for the foreseeable future.

As I said in the other thread, it's interesting that Sony is apparently taking a different approach, and are still on Marvel's good side (indicated by the merchandising for the ASM films continuing through toys, comics, and other merchandise) and the rumors of Marvel and Sony negotiating to bring Garfield's Spider-Man into the MCU.

There's also the mutants that Bendis created, which came after them. But they're mutants FOX wouldn't want to use anyways because of similar powers to others

Marvel's top writer, ladies and gentlemen.

Latest posts

Back