Captain Canuck

The poster formerly known as captaincanuck65
thumbnail.php

WOLVERINE: ORIGIN II
Written by KIERON GILLEN
Art by ADAM KUBERT
NOVEMBER 2013

Kieron Gillen:
I believe the first series ended in 1898. We're picking things up a few years later, and Logan has been living in the woods all that time. When we last saw him in "Origin," he had killed his first love and rejected humanity by deciding he would go run with the wolves for awhile.

For those of you that are really up on your Wolverine continuity, this takes place a few years before Silver Fox.

This is a story about Wolverine's early days that deals with a core question about his character. It's a story about him learning to heal. It's a story about family and loss. He's a man with a healing factor, and this is about him coming to terms with the wounds his mutant ability cannot heal. That's the emotional heart to the story.

He's stopped living with humans at the start of this story. This is him learning to care again and discovering what that costs.

There's very little super hero stuff in there. "Uncanny X-Men" readers have an idea of my Sinister. He's a big ham. He's quite glorious. The Nathaniel Essex in this story is quite different. He's very cold. By the time you meet him in my "Uncanny X-Men" run, he had transformed himself so much, he might not as well be human. This is him right at the start of his career.

It fits into the chronology of the Marvel Universe because it does fit with how Essex became Mister Sinister, but we pretty much play him straight in this story. He's a scientist with an interest in this emerging new species. One of the working sub titles I had for this series was "Origin of the Species." This is basically the discovery of a strange new type of human living in the woods.

I can only talk hypothetically about [Sabretooth] though in terms of this story, though, so -- speaking hypothetically -- the emotional origins of the conflict between Sabretooth and Logan is one of those big, untold stories. That would be a good thing to include in a story set in this time period. What's the reason Sabretooth turned up that fateful day Silver Fox was murdered? Why did he do what he did? Was it random chance? Fate? Or was something else going on? So those would be interesting elements to explore -- if our story did in fact feature Sabretooth. [Laughs]

Last edited:
Last night I read some of the Wolverine Origins ongoing from a couple of years ago and i'm starting to think that Origin II will contradict the history that was set up/tied together in that run. If Origin II leads directly into Silver Fox's death, then that screws up the fact that he went to China and Madripoor for the first time before Silver Fox died. Also, if Sabre Tooth kills Silver Fox for any other reason than to manipulate Wolverine for Romulus, then that flies directly in the face of the continuity established in the Origins ongoing.

But the whole Romulus manipulation story seems pretty ridiculous and bloated anyway (I'm not finished the series yet).
And also, the continuity of the Origins series already doesn't work. It was established at the very beginning that Winter Soldier killed Itsu (Daken's mom), and that right after that Wolverine was sent to Russia to kill a spy named Romanoff and he met and trained a young Natasha Romanoff there. Then the next time he sees Natasha is right before WWII, shortly after which he meets Bucky for the first time...

Maybe they'll explain the contradiction at some point, but i doubt it.

Maybe no one else cares.

Last night I read some of the Wolverine Origins ongoing from a couple of years ago and i'm starting to think that Origin II will contradict the history that was set up/tied together in that run. If Origin II leads directly into Silver Fox's death, then that screws up the fact that he went to China and Madripoor for the first time before Silver Fox died. Also, if Sabre Tooth kills Silver Fox for any other reason than to manipulate Wolverine for Romulus, then that flies directly in the face of the continuity established in the Origins ongoing.

But the whole Romulus manipulation story seems pretty ridiculous and bloated anyway (I'm not finished the series yet).
And also, the continuity of the Origins series already doesn't work. It was established at the very beginning that Winter Soldier killed Itsu (Daken's mom), and that right after that Wolverine was sent to Russia to kill a spy named Romanoff and he met and trained a young Natasha Romanoff there. Then the next time he sees Natasha is right before WWII, shortly after which he meets Bucky for the first time...

Maybe no one else cares.

If I read 616 you know I would care. But I don't...so I don't.

Maybe no one else cares.

I haven't heard a good word about the whole Romulus story/s so I doubt many people would be up in arms if they just ignore it.

I hope they touch upon whether Logan actually started Weapon X or not. Sabertooth Reborn left me so hungry for more on that.

I don't believe I've read anything by Kieron Gillen that I cared anything for, and his current Iron Man is dreadfully awful, so I doubt I'll bother with this even though I feel like I should know what happens in it.

I don't believe I've read anything by Kieron Gillen that I cared anything for, and his current Iron Man is dreadfully awful, so I doubt I'll bother with this even though I feel like I should know what happens in it.

Do you not read Young Avengers? He's doing great on that book!

And I liked his X-Men work on his Uncanny run, so I have some faith.

I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't care about Origin or Wolverine's past in general.

Kieron Gillen is mostly good though.

I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't care about Origin or Wolverine's past in general.

Kieron Gillen is mostly good though.

That is precisely my feeling about it.

"Who cares? Oh, Gillen, okay!"

E said:

Do you live in a universe that's the opposite of my universe?

Last edited:
Do you not read Young Avengers? He's doing great on that book!

I liked the first couple of issues, then it just fell flat.

It's not terrible, unlike Iron Man, but it's just not interesting enough for me to care about.

But...I thought you folks from New Zealand were always interested in small, furry life forms. Granted its usually sheep or Hobbits, but Wolverine fits the criteria, doesn't he?

You should keep a timeline of all these amazing jokes.

Someone needs to read Journey Into Mystery

I did. I read the first 15 (?) issues or so. It was REALLY uneven; some issues were brilliant, and others just dragged. Once again, I didn't hate it, but after so many mediocre issues I didn't care to continue with it.

There are plenty of mediocre writers out there and I have nothing against Gillen, I just don't get why they'd put such a mediocre writer on what I'm assuming is supposed to be a pretty major event like Origin 2.

I did. I read the first 15 (?) issues or so. It was REALLY uneven; some issues were brilliant, and others just dragged. Once again, I didn't hate it, but after so many mediocre issues I didn't care to continue with it.

There are plenty of mediocre writers out there and I have nothing against Gillen, I just don't get why they'd put such a mediocre writer on what I'm assuming is supposed to be a pretty major event like Origin 2.
Well, Paul Jenkins sure won't write it now. :lol:

But seriously, I don't think Gillen is mediocre and of course Marvel doesn't see him that way either. And I don't think this series is as major as you say. The first Origins, mini, yeah- that was a major event.

Latest posts

Back