All New X-Men by Bendis/Immonen (spoilers)

E

Excelsior Club
#1 is out today. And it's 3.99 for 24 pages.

Beast discovers he's dying and he, Iceman, Storm, & Kitty decide that Cyclops is going too far in protecting mutants or something, I guess. It's OK for Emma or Magneto to do it but not him. I didn't get that.

Also I had no idea that Scott escaped from prison. Last I saw him Captain America had him locked up.

So Beast goes back in time to original X-Men-ear Scott to ask him to talk to today Scott.

Art was really good, though.

#1 is out today. And it's 3.99 for 24 pages.

Beast discovers he's dying and he, Iceman, Storm, & Kitty decide that Cyclops is going too far in protecting mutants or something, I guess. It's OK for Emma or Magneto to do it but not him. I didn't get that.
It's not that it's OK for Emma or Mags and not OK for Scott, but Iceman was surprised that Scott would end up going this far because he was never like this before. This isn't "new territory" for Emma or Magneto, which is why Iceman said he's not surprised by their actions.

Also I had no idea that Scott escaped from prison. Last I saw him Captain America had him locked up.
It happened during AvX: Consequences.

So Beast goes back in time to original X-Men-ear Scott to ask him to talk to today Scott.
Which he got the idea from Iceman, ruh-roh!

Art was really good, though.
All the 3.99 books will be priced at such because they will bring the code for digital downloads. Any book that doesn't have codes are 2.99. So basically people are paying .99 for the digital copies.

Anyone reading this and/or have read #2? Much as I enjoyed #1, this issue was even better.

Also, there's also an interview video found here about Bendis maybe killing off 'an original X-Man'.[/url]

All the 3.99 books will be priced at such because they will bring the code for digital downloads. Any book that doesn't have codes are 2.99. So basically people are paying .99 for the digital copies.

I am pretty sure (though not positive) that they have, at one point, offered truly free digital downloads, including on books that were 2.99.

I'm not trying to argue, just pointing out that they are, in effect, raising prices again.

Time to dust off the "irrational price increases in comics" complaint thread.

I'm reading it right now.

Remind me again how Kitty is here? I can't remember how she got off the planet bullet at the end of Whedon's Astonishing run.

I'm reading it right now.

Remind me again how Kitty is here? I can't remember how she got off the planet bullet at the end of Whedon's Astonishing run.

In Uncanny X-Men #522, for Magneto to prove himself that he just wanted to help the X-Men on Utopia, he brought back the bullet from space, as his powers were returned/augmented after helping The High Evolutionary. But because Kitty phased with the bullet and was phased for so long, she had remained in that state until the following storyline where the Breakworlders came to Earth. "During the conflict between the Breakworlder Kr'uun and the X-Men, Kitty is slain and resurrected by Kr'uun's mate in an alien ritual, which results in her powers returning to normal."

Resurrected in an alien ritual. E will love that.

It's not that it's OK for Emma or Mags and not OK for Scott, but Iceman was surprised that Scott would end up going this far because he was never like this before. This isn't "new territory" for Emma or Magneto, which is why Iceman said he's not surprised by their actions.

It happened during AvX: Consequences.

Which he got the idea from Iceman, ruh-roh!

Well, the $3.99 price point started before Marvel started including the Digital codes. They really just charge $3.99 for the books they think people will pay $3.99 on. The digital code is more of a "you get this too."

In other news I will gladly pay $1.10 for any unredeemed codes anyone has.

Resurrected in an alien ritual. E will love that.

I know stuff like that happens in other books, but that is a great example of why I don't/can't read X-Men books. It's like they just come up with as much garbage as they can and shove it into a book.

As for this book...I read #2 and this is pretty terrible. It's just a dumb concept done poorly.

Well, the $3.99 price point started before Marvel started including the Digital codes. They really just charge $3.99 for the books they think people will pay $3.99 on. The digital code is more of a "you get this too."

In other news I will gladly pay $1.10 for any unredeemed codes anyone has.
True, but as I said in another thread, the books now that are $4 seem to be just the ones with codes, as stated by the EIC.

I have a bunch of unredeemed codes, is there any specific book/s?

I know stuff like that happens in other books, but that is a great example of why I don't/can't read X-Men books. It's like they just come up with as much garbage as they can and shove it into a book.
While I agree it isn't a good idea/story, I wouldn't make it out to be as if it's something that only X-Men books have done.

As for this book...I read #2 and this is pretty terrible. It's just a dumb concept done poorly.
How is it terrible exactly? It's an interesting idea and we're only barely seeing it unfold.

Last edited:
With today's #5, Beast has yet another altered look. Don't know how I feel about it yet. It reminds me of his Mutant X design, just blue instead of green.

I think what's botching me most about this book is that there is no sense of direction and for such a seemingly major event (original X-Men coming to today's world) it doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

E said:
I think what's botching me most about this book is that there is no sense of direction and for such a seemingly major event (original X-Men coming to today's world) it doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

Okay, yeah, I see what you mean. That's a valid point. Even through #9, there's no structure seen like that to be happening. Regardless, I think Bendis is doing a great job and I'm very much enjoying him writing an X-book.

Last edited:
I think it's more that you love Iceman, and this book has two.

I'm only half kidding.

So I've caught up on this in the last week and I think this is the best thing Bendis has done in a long time. I was thinking about his writing style and its a perfect fit for the x-men. Nothing ever gets accomplished and everyone is prissy weigh each other and occasionally something big happens. That's like the blueprint to an x-men story.

But I do wish his Emma Frost didn't talk like she's from queens.

So I've caught up on this in the last week and I think this is the best thing Bendis has done in a long time. I was thinking about his writing style and its a perfect fit for the x-men. Nothing ever gets accomplished and everyone is prissy weigh each other and occasionally something big happens. That's like the blueprint to an x-men story.

But I do wish his Emma Frost didn't talk like she's from queens.

That's the worst thing about Bendis on an X-Men book. You have this huge and varied cast from all walks of life and they sound exactly the same.

But yeah, his Emma is the worst. He's always writing her saying things like "sweetie" and it's just not how she talks in any other book.

As for the book itself...I read #5 and it seems like the whole point of this was to change Beast's appearance in the slightest way possible. I don't get what the point of all this is and it's not going anywhere. I don't flat out hate it so I'm sticking around but you can tell when Bendis is on his game, and this isn't it.

Latest posts

Back