Spider-Man Amazing Spider-Man: Ends of the Earth

Captain Canuck

The poster formerly known as captaincanuck65
Doc Ock and his Sinister Six take on the world in the next Spidey event starting this March.
Slott revealed that with this new arc he will be expanding the scope considerably. While the Spider-Island event was confined to the island of New York City, this new event will have Spidey "operating globally." The story will run from AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #682 to #687 and the seeds for this story were planted as far back as AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #600.

2123638-amazing_spiderman_cover_super.jpg

Kind of funny seeing as how the whole point of OMD was to get Spidey back to his roots. Operating globally is not Spider-Man's roots.

Still, you can't argue with the quality of the book. Seems like there's a lot of things that I hate when they announce them but end up being OK at worst.

#684: Spider-Man theorizes that Sandman must have one "master" grain of sand in his being, and with help from Horizon Labs (operating remotely since they've been kicked out of NYC by JJJ), Black Widow, & Silver Sable. They use the Pink Elephant trick to manipulate his form and locate the grain, taking out another of the Sinister Six. Meanwhile, Doc Ock got the go ahead from the UN to save the world and gave his demands: pardons for his goons and $2 million for each of them. Rhino reveals he got a different deal from Doc Ock.

Not bad...3.5/5

Oops, I've been posting about Ends of the Earth in another Spidey thread...

#685 was good again. Spidey is getting the respect he deserves and I love that. I don't mind him as the nervous jokester in New Avengers b/c he would feel inadequate with them and that's how he would act, but it's cool to see the other side of it too. It's interesting that Silver Sable seems to haver feelings for him... I think there was a bit of that back in the 80s, but it wasn't really explored. I also really love the little bit about MJ and Peter... I really hope Slott is going to eventually put them back together. But I can't shake this feeling that he's going to kill her...

You guys are going to have a VERY angry Canadian on your hands if that happens!

I don't like that they seem to be lining Peter and MJ back up. I always found her to be a boring character.

But I'm liking this story. Slott's really making clever use of the Spidey rogues.

My favorite Spidey stories are the ones I connect with emotionally. love the old comics from the 70s with Pete dating Gwen and MJ, not usually because of the villain of the month, but because Gerry Conway and co wrote the book in such a way that I care about what's going on in Peter's life. Peter's dated lots of girls (Betty, sort of Liz, Black Cat, Deborah Whitman, Carly, etc) but it's always been about Gwen and MJ.

Gwen's death is one of the saddest stories in comics ever (And Spider-Man: Blue is one of my favourite stories ever - not to mention the only thing written by Jeph Loeb I like). And then the development of Peter and MJ's relationship because of Gwen's death is just...compelling? (I don't know if that's the right word). In a similar vein, my favourite Spidey villain is Harry as the Green Goblin. I love him as a villain because I hate that he's a villain. At best, the other villains are cool or pose a serious threat to Peter and his friends & family. Harry, is on a whole other level, because it kills Peter to have to fight him. He's his friend and he cares about him.

I didn't always love the weird mystical/spider-totem and retcon stuff that JMS put in his Spidey run, but he's one of my favourite Spider-writers because he captured the emotion of Peter so well. I bought that he cared about the kids he was teaching and I felt how much he loved MJ (and how much he loved Gwen and hated Norman).

Similarly, I'm enjoying how fun ASM is with Slott writing off-the-wall adventures, but the best parts are when Slott takes a moment away from the action to have Peter & MJ share a moment.

Spidey is fun and neurotic and noble and has cool powers. But at the heart of it, Spider-Man is a love story.

Last edited:
So, MJ is interesting not because she has a personality that's interesting, but because Spidey loves her?

;) You like MJ as an object?

So, that was a pretty good ending. I wasn't going to buy the epilogue in Avenging Spider-Man, but apparently Silver Sable is in it
and now I'm not sure if she's dead or not
. So I'm going to have to check it out now.

It just struck me though. Spider-Man keeps talking about a girl that he needs to save the world for, but he never says who it is. I assumed it was MJ, but maybe Slott is pulling a fast one.

Can I mention though (probably again), I really like how much Silver Sable respects Spidey in this story.

Captain Canuck said:
So, that was a pretty good ending. I wasn't going to buy the epilogue in Avenging Spider-Man, but apparently Silver Sable is in it * SPOILER *. So I'm going to have to check it out now.

And of course, it was a flashback story and gave no resolution to
Silver Sable's fate
. I'm such a sucker...

Last edited:
This is precisely why I download comics before buying them. The lack of integrity in how they try to trick their audience into buying extraneous titles is why people quit comics in the first place.

I have no idea how they can make Silver Sable interesting. She has got to be Spidey's least interesting 'big gun' antagonist to me. Course I haven't read any of the new Spidey yet so I may be wrong.

I have no idea how they can make Silver Sable interesting. She has got to be Spidey's least interesting 'big gun' antagonist to me. Course I haven't read any of the new Spidey yet so I may be wrong.

Don't expect that to change once you do read this. She's not interesting or important.

I thought the plot was kind of ridiculous and the story was bad. It read like an excuse to put as many big names in as possible with no real plan for why or what they might contribute to the story. I just could not care anything about this throughout the whole story.

Stuff like this makes me want to stop reading ASM.

Don't expect that to change once you do read this. She's not interesting or important.

I thought the plot was kind of ridiculous and the story was bad. It read like an excuse to put as many big names in as possible with no real plan for why or what they might contribute to the story. I just could not care anything about this throughout the whole story.

Stuff like this makes me want to stop reading ASM.

You're the worst.

Latest posts

Back