Help me write a story...

E

Excelsior Club
So, here's the deal. My kids have been playing with 3.75" action figures a lot lately and "mixing" the universes - it's mainly the Marvel Universe figures and Star Wars figures. But there are a couple others (Pirates of the Caribbean, Star Trek, etc.).

We have some cameras and stuff that I was thinking would be cool to use to make a movie with the characters. We've played around with it and tested out how to shoot the characters and whatnot, but I was thinking it would be cool to teach them how to use the camera to create interesting angles and shots. I have iMovie and would take the scenes we shoot and edit them into a movie with sound effects, etc.

The problem is I'm no good at creating a story to shoot, and they don't really know what I'm talking bout when I tell them what we will be doing to the point where they can make up a story beforehand so we know what scenes to set up, what characters should be in them, and how to shoot them.

The only real idea I had was to have Dr. Doom set up a machine that can break into other dimensions which would cause universes to become all jumbled up. So "movie Thor" (one of the figures we have) and "comic book Thor" could meet, and could interact with Luke Skywalker, etc. Dr. Doom steals the Millennium Falcon, etc.

I have no idea how to construct a story to do this. I just have loose ideas, none of them fleshed out or developed enough to be able to plan shooting a scene.

Any thoughts? Ideas?

Do you want help fleshing out the story or writing a script to shoot (or both)?

Your premise is good and has potential for comedy (Jack Sparrow piloting the Millennium Falcon springs to mind). I will try to think of some ideas.

It needs more sex.

And there should be a giant robotic spider somewhere.

Last edited:
It needs more sex.

And there should be a giant robotic spider somewhere.

:lol: it would never work for a superman movie...better put it in a Will Smith flick.

1st, we'd need a complete cast of characters to work with before you can flesh out the story.

Do you want help fleshing out the story or writing a script to shoot (or both)?

Your premise is good and has potential for comedy (Jack Sparrow piloting the Millennium Falcon springs to mind). I will try to think of some ideas.

I don't think I need a script per se, but yes, probably both; something a little more detailed than just a series of events. I'm recording this with an 8 year old and a 5 year old; I just want to show them structure and planning without making it boring for them. I think they would get bored it I gave them a 100-page script and followed it closely.

Jack Sparrow piloting the Millennium Falcon is great. I was going to have Doom steal it and have Han Solo and Chewbacca in the cargo hold...we have a few ideas like that but we just need to string them together.

Also - we are using a 42" TV for backgrounds. We have been finding cool photos of volcanos, jungles, caves, deserts, and other settings (just photos; nothing moving) to use for the backgrounds and recording against them. It works pretty well for what we're doing.

ETA: it would probably be helpful if I posted a list of characters we have. We have been picking up more all of the time, but here's what I have:

Marvel: Bucky Captain America, Movie Red Skull, Movie Thor, Comics Thor, Spider-Man, Black suit Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2099, Scarlet Spider, Spider-Woman, Human Torch, Wolverine, Absorbing Man, Magneto, and some others.

Star Wars: We have a lot of Star Wars figures - too many to mention but basically we have all of the main characters and quite a few secondary characters.

I mentioned Jack Sparrow...also Nero and Spock from the newest Star Trek Movie.

We're also finding others as we go through toy boxes. It's too bad DC doesn't have any 3.75" figures.

I'm thinking about changing this up a little - doing this with Minimates instead of 3.75" action figures because we have a lot more Minimates and have most of the main DC characters (we have no 3.75" DC figures), and doing a movie with stills instead of video because I can enhance the photos in Photoshop. The downside to using Minimates is that we can't use Star Wars figures as there are no Star Wars Minimates.

So...I don't know.

That's the same reason why it took The Hobbit so long to start production.

Latest posts

Back