ScarJo in a solo Black Widow movie possibly (hopefully) sometime in the future...

Captain Canuck

The poster formerly known as captaincanuck65
SHH:
Marvel Studios head Kevin Feige has confirmed that discussions are already in the works to have Scarlett Johansson reprise her role as Natasha Romanoff in a Black Widow spinoff film, though the project will take a backburner while The Avengers is in development.
Discuss.

Last edited:
I approve. Proceed.

Like CATWOMAN and ELEKTRA, I'm sure this will turn out fine.

:shifty:
I believe I was writing this week's column at the exact same moment you were writing this.

GET OUT OF MY HEAD, MAN.

My problem with that, is with that mindset, whenever a new comic book movie is in development, shouldn't we automatically compare it to stuff like BATMAN & ROBIN and STEEL?

My problem with that, is with that mindset, whenever a new comic book movie is in development, shouldn't we automatically compare it to stuff like BATMAN & ROBIN and STEEL?

No, because there are a mixture of both good and bad supehero flicks with male leads. There are NO successful superhero flicks starring women. You'd have to go outside the realm of licensed characters to find one, if that. And not that there's an inherent problem with the idea, it's just that Hollywood seems to have a mystifying problem with them, hence my confusion, and I'm guessing Bass' skepticism.

I'm actually not skeptical it will be bad because two unrelated projects were bad.

I was just being somewhat tongue-in-cheek and pointing out that while I would love one, I've yet to see a good action movie where the protagonist was a woman. (I can't think of any.)

But it was more just a throwaway bit of sarcasm, not really a 'point' or anything. As the Cap'n said, I was just raining on the parade.

No, because there are a mixture of both good and bad supehero flicks with male leads. There are NO successful superhero flicks starring women. You'd have to go outside the realm of licensed characters to find one, if that. And not that there's an inherent problem with the idea, it's just that Hollywood seems to have a mystifying problem with them, hence my confusion, and I'm guessing Bass' skepticism.

Well, let's be honest tho, there have only been 2, comic movies with female leads. It took a while for the guy part of the genre to get to the good movies too.

I'm actually not skeptical it will be bad because two unrelated projects were bad.

I was just being somewhat tongue-in-cheek and pointing out that while I would love one, I've yet to see a good action movie where the protagonist was a woman. (I can't think of any.)

But it was more just a throwaway bit of sarcasm, not really a 'point' or anything. As the Cap'n said, I was just raining on the parade.

No worries, the whole thing kinda came out snarkier than it should have. I was just joking around. Kinda the drawback to a text only interaction.

I actually liked Salt, it was a pretty decent action flick with a female lead. With that said, I'd like to see someone, OTHER than Angelina Jolie do a strong female action heroine.

Last edited:
it fit well though, b/c all three are spin-offs starring women. (Yes Catwoman was a spin off. It was originally going to be a continuation of Catwoman's story after Batman Returns, but got delayed in production so much they abandoned that concept and went down a different road with it...which clearly worked out so well.)

I actually liked Salt, it was a pretty decent action flick with a female lead. With that said, I'd like to see someone, OTHER than Angelina Jolie do a strong female action heroine.

I've not seen SALT. I think the reason it's so hard to get it right is that women aren't particularly adept at acting in that role. That's not so much a sexist thing, but a cultural one. Until, what... the 80s with ALIEN and THE TERMINATOR, women were never the leads in any type of action story ever. As such there is not much of a cultural or historical element in the world for women to draw on in these roles. Women until recently could not be cops and soldiers and so on. Women as a physical power is only very recent, and it's been gradual. Action women are primarily the protagonist of horror movies, in which it's physical but they're a victim. The proper action heroine is really still in its fledgling state, so it's harder for women to pull the roll off. It's kind of like green-screen acting. The totally immersive green-screen in which there is just no props at all, just one guy in a costume, is really rather new. The only place it's been done before is really theatre which is very abstract in its sets when it calls for epic scale (such as Shakespeare) as opposed to more mundane one-room-in-a-contemporary-house type of affair (like Ibsen's A DOLL'S HOUSE). But on the whole, it's so new most actors can't pull it off. It's not that it's impossible, it's just too new. Same for women as action heroines. And it's also true on the other side of the camera; directors aren't sure how to direct them. There are exceptions of course; Tracey Scoggins was very good in BABYLON 5, very tough and strong, as was Charlize Theron in IN THE VALLEY OF ELAH; Karen Allen as Marion in RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK, Carrie Ann Moss as Trinity in THE MATRIX. Angelina Jolie seems to be able to do it too. But the directors often find it hard to not direct the movie as though it were a strip show; consider Johannson in IRON MAN 2. She was fine as the Widow but the movie treated her like a strip tease.

I think we need a Toph movie.

I've not seen SALT. I think the reason it's so hard to get it right is that women aren't particularly adept at acting in that role. That's not so much a sexist thing, but a cultural one. Until, what... the 80s with ALIEN and THE TERMINATOR, women were never the leads in any type of action story ever. As such there is not much of a cultural or historical element in the world for women to draw on in these roles. Women until recently could not be cops and soldiers and so on. Women as a physical power is only very recent, and it's been gradual. Action women are primarily the protagonist of horror movies, in which it's physical but they're a victim. The proper action heroine is really still in its fledgling state, so it's harder for women to pull the roll off. It's kind of like green-screen acting. The totally immersive green-screen in which there is just no props at all, just one guy in a costume, is really rather new. The only place it's been done before is really theatre which is very abstract in its sets when it calls for epic scale (such as Shakespeare) as opposed to more mundane one-room-in-a-contemporary-house type of affair (like Ibsen's A DOLL'S HOUSE). But on the whole, it's so new most actors can't pull it off. It's not that it's impossible, it's just too new. Same for women as action heroines. And it's also true on the other side of the camera; directors aren't sure how to direct them. There are exceptions of course; Tracey Scoggins was very good in BABYLON 5, very tough and strong, as was Charlize Theron in IN THE VALLEY OF ELAH; Karen Allen as Marion in RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK, Carrie Ann Moss as Trinity in THE MATRIX. Angelina Jolie seems to be able to do it too. But the directors often find it hard to not direct the movie as though it were a strip show; consider Johannson in IRON MAN 2. She was fine as the Widow but the movie treated her like a strip tease.

I think we need a Toph movie.

I don't think I could agree with you any more than I do right now.

ESPECIALLY, the Toph movie idea.

Kill Bill!

I was JUST going to say this! It's also an action movie where the femininity of the lead character is absolutely crucial to the film.

Also, I thought Luc Besson's Nikita was just fantastic and could almost be a blueprint for the type of Black Widow film I'd like to see. (Admittedly, I saw it when I was a kid and it might not age as well as I remember, but still...)

That said, "girls with guns" has been a genre for quite some time now, and while most of the output isn't particularly great, there is a precedent for it, and female action stars in more ensemble vehicles aren't all that unheard of. I honestly don't buy the argument that it would really be a difficult venture to pull off. I'd just argue that it hasn't been tried often with a decent budget and a good director. I'd imagine the lack of female-led action movies has less to do with the difficulty of the genre and more to do with a general consensus among Hollywood that it's a type of movie that won't sell.

;) And if Iron Man 2 was any indication, I would love to see a movie with more ScarJo action sequences.

Last edited:
;) And if Iron Man 2 was any indication, I would love to see a movie with more ScarJo action sequences.

seriously! That was by far the best part of the movie. And not just in a "wow, she's hot" kind of way (although that too), it was just the best action sequence in the film.

seriously! That was by far the best part of the movie. And not just in a "wow, she's hot" kind of way (although that too), it was just the best action sequence in the film.

I agree entirely. A big problem I have with superhero movies (Spider-Man and Iron Man stand out specifically. And I do quite like the latter) is that half of the time, I feel like I'm watching a video game. But the BW sequence was the only part of the movie that felt, to me, wholly kinetic and believable.

Actually, no. I'm lying. The sequence at the race track was pretty ****ing great too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back