I'm so fed up with MJ

Ricky

Yesterday, I flipped through the pages of Spiderman: India, wondering whether to buy it or not. I had already decided against it, when I suddenly came across MJ (I don't remember her name correctely, something like "Maya Jarrah").
At that moment I suddenly realized what had been bothering me about Spiderman for quite some time:
I'm fed up with Mary Jane. I mean, she's in 616-Spiderman (which I can live with), she's in Ultimate Spiderman, in the movies, in Spiderman India. It's like suddenly there had never been any other woman in Peter Parkers.

I found her apperance in Spiderman India especially bad, since she's this gorgeos girl, who kind of seems to fall for the nobody loser on first sight. That feels wrong, to me at last. They could at least have gone the way it was presented in the first movie, when she doesn't even realize Peter exists, until way ahead into the story.
Now, I don't care much about Spiderman: India, since I'm not going to read this book any further, but I do care about Ultimate Spiderman.

Perhaps my perception of teenager life is biased because of personal experiance, but I don't think you normaly stay together eternally with your first boy-friend/girl-friend. Am I the only one who kind of feels annoyed by seeing 15-year old Peter and MJ behave like they're married already?
I have thought about it for a while now, and I'd like to se a dramatic change of the status quo. I'm not talking about killing MJ off, like it has been done with Gwen (which I think was a big mistake, not because I'm pissed off by it, but because I think it was a waste of a very well done support character, who brought a lot of fun to the book; I might feel different, though, if her death had been properly adressed afterwards, but so far, we got one issue of Peter dealing with the loss and a few issues of silly team-ups, in which peter jumped back into costume like nothing had happened at all).
Instead I'm thinking about something that would ground Ultimate Spiderman a little more in real life again: How about if MJ fell in love with someone else, a football player possibly, or any other guy. We could see her growing cold on Peter, see the split up, see her get together with the other guy from afar (through Peter's eyes as he watches everything) and leave Peter behind with a broken heart. The interesting point would be however, that this change would be permanent. MJ wouldn't come back after a few issues, she'd just stay in love with this other guy (or eventually someone else).
Bendis once said that when he writes his stories, he thinks about the worst thing that could happen to the character and then he does that to him. This is pretty much what I'm talking about here, but this time it won't be some Spider-related crisis, but rather something every teenager has experienced before and could easily relate to. We'd see Peter go through a crisis, and eventually we'll see the introduction of someone else, some original girl, that Peter will get together with. It could be anyone. Possibly a shy science-nerd with zits and HUGE glasses. Or it could even be some other super-hero (if possibly, not the black cat, we've seen that already). Didn't Kitty Pryde have a crunch on Peter?

Anyway, Peter'd learn the hard way that you should't confine your secret identity to someone easily, since he'd always have to worry about MJ bluring it out in the future.

On a side note: I'm actually waiting and praying for Peter and Felicia to rekindle old feelings in the pages of MK: Spiderman. Call me biased, but the prospect of a possible affair between the two is what kept me buying the series at first.

I'm finished,
now you can flame me

Rick

Peter will always have MJ. Superman will always have Lois Lane.

Any "Spider-Man" book isn't just about Spider-Man. Never has been, never will be. There will always be certain chracters that will always be there and will always play their roles.

I am a little bit amused that it was Spider-Man India that brought you to this realization, though. Of all the things that were bad about that book - to pick up on that is just funny to me.

Well, it's rare for a teenager to be in it that deep with a girl, especially now. Being a teenager, I know that we don't date to love. I, too, would like to see Peter branch out a little bit and date around, you know? I know his options are slim (Gwen's dead, Betty Brant is older, and Black Cat isn't around and significantly older than him) but I would like to see what he would, you know?

Peter Parker is by no means your average teenager... if you're gonna be a superhero first off you don't have time to socialize much he isn't really left any options other than MJ... I could see BlackCat coming back and screwing up the relationship but not for good... I don't know why you guys are against it... I come from a large family and 3 sets of my aunts n' uncles met in high school and are happily married....
so I guess I'm sayin don't remove MJ maybe they could split for a bit and he could fool around with BlackCat (on the soul basis that he thinks they have more in common with their alternate lifestyle) realize he's in love with MJ and go back to her...

longshotjimlee said:
Gwen?

Well I'm not into sleeping with boring dead women with broken necks.

Not to mention she's all scaly and wrinkly. It's like she has some weird skin disorder.

Goodwill said:
Well, it's rare for a teenager to be in it that deep with a girl, especially now. Being a teenager, I know that we don't date to love. I, too, would like to see Peter branch out a little bit and date around, you know? I know his options are slim (Gwen's dead, Betty Brant is older, and Black Cat isn't around and significantly older than him) but I would like to see what he would, you know?

So what that Betty Brant and Felicia are older? Peter is much older than his age. It would be cool if he ended up with some one older than him.

I agree that Peter and MJ should brake up. They are too young to be acting like they were married. They have very solid relationship that kind of kills the interest in Parker love life.

I am also not to found of MJ. She was the most annoyng thing in the Spider-man movies. All that romantic crap felt a little pushed to me. I liked Gwen's character better and I wish Mary Jane had died instead of her. But since she dind't, it would be nice if Bendis introduced some new women in Peter's life.

I don't think it's in his character to do something that's not morally acceptable. Dating older women like that would probably fall into immorality.

Maybe immorality of Peter's older girlfriends, not his. You can't say that the younger one in the rellationship is acting wrong, the blame aways goes to the adult.

Hey Ricky, if I surf around the other forums, am I going to get to see individual threads for the other three whiney bits I saw in your "Making the UU original" thread? o_O

jtg3885 said:
Hey Ricky, if I surf around the other forums, am I going to get to see individual threads for the other three whiney bits I saw in your "Making the UU original" thread? o_O

I'm losing the thread of this conversaton

longshotjimlee said:
I'm losing the thread of this conversaton

I was referring to this thread. I merely wanted to know if I was going to run across separate "villain swapping", "anti-relationship", and "stay dead" threads, because I didn't see the need for Ricky to post both this thread and the thread in the Ultimate Universe forum.

No offense, but of course it's going to feel pushed. They're trying to introduce a romance that's been part of the comic for over thirty years (or merely sixteen if you count the wedding as the start) in the form of three hour movies.

jtg3885 said:
No offense, but of course it's going to feel pushed. They're trying to introduce a romance that's been part of the comic for over thirty years (or merely sixteen if you count the wedding as the start) in the form of three hour movies.

And not only that, but they are putting her right at the beginning of Spider-Man's career, and that's not what we're all used to seeing.

True that UltimateE...

That's the only thing I really don't like about her I was shocked when I saw her in the first issue like that... and then when Gwen appeared through her death I thought that was a big mistake cos' the whole first relationship with Gwen and her dying should've made a major impact on Peter's life...

No, there'll be no topics for the other three points.

The reason I posted this seperately was because I gave it a little more thought and I wanted to vocalize it a bit closer (actually this topic was started after i copy-paste-s the first topic from millar-world).

Answering a few questions:
1. Where I come from, it is quite rare for people to stay together with their first love affair for good. It's something I haven't witnessed in real life, yet, therefore I find it hard to accept it in a fictional story.
2. I personally find Ultimate Spiderman boring recently. There is no more personal development. In the first few issues, we got quite a lot of it (I still think the way the trouble with MJy father was worked out is great), but the only character that has gone anywhere recently was gwen, and then they killed her off.
MJ is stagnant recently (if she ever shows up at all). Kong started out great, but he's back to where he began, a mindless bully. Peter's job at the bugle was brought up - and then just got ignored again.
3. A relationship without any growth or change is boring. Certainly wouldn't mind being in love with a cute girl myself and just staying happy with her, but it makes for a boring story.
4. Those people here who quote "Spiderman will always have MJ, like Superman will allways have Loise", please remember, that before Amazing Spiderman #200, it would have been: "Spiderman will always have Gwen, ..."!
If MJ could replace some other girl, whe not replace MJ for a while?

Latest posts

Back