The Incredible Hulk Discussion Thread--SPOILERS!!

How would you rate Letterier's "The Incredible Hulk"?

• Total voters

Hellsbuttmonkey

We haven't got one yet so I thought one was needed.

Awesome. Not as awesome as Iron Man, but still awesome.

The Good

The Hulk vs Abomination fight. Really good fight scene, especially as it was two CG monsters fighting it looked really good.

Banner in general

General Ross

THE MOTHER****ING LEADER!

The sheer number of geek references (big purple trousers, Weapon Plus, Captain America references etc)

The Bad

Liv Tyler

All in all an awesomely fun film.

good

all the reviews I've read from sites, have been hovering around mediocre, and I trust you guys more than them

I'm excited I'm gonna see if there is a midnight showing tonight

Oh my god.

This movie kicked so much ***. Roth Stole the show as Emil Blonsky/Abomanation. Ed Norton kicked butt as Banner too.

And it looks like we'll get the Leader in the next one.

This beat the crap out of Lee's film.

A brief glimpse of the Robert Downey Jr.'s cameo as Tony Stark:

[youtube]LiTRMMJYMrgz[/youtube]

Okay, here's what I think.

Overall, quite a good movie. It succeeded in more ways than it failed, all the acting I thought was pitch perfect, and I don't get why you wouldn't like Liv Tyler's performance. The action sequences were impeccable, and it was great to see the Hulk as powerful as he ought to be. Basically everything is better than it was in Ang Lee's Hulk.

The best thing about this? Edward Norton. He makes a fantastic Bruce Banner and manages to sound smart, crack a few jokes, and pulls off a fantastic job of making Bruce a likable character who you really give a damn about.

Tim Roth as Emil Blonsky was great as well... I love the bits alluding to Captain America, especially the fact that the serum they inject him with is comes from a project called "Weapons Plus". It seems like they are mixing 616 and Ultimate continuity here... Steve Rogers seems to be the beginnings of the Weapons Plus program (probably Weapon I), and the Hulk has come out of a later variation of that same program. I bet when they get the X-Men rights back, they'll more than likely tie Wolverine in there too. It's all about building the next Super-Soldier. I can't wait to see the cut scene with the Hulk in the Arctic running into frozen Captain America. They're really doing a great job building this universe.

At first I was a little bummed out that Mr. Blue wasn't Doc Samson, but instead this guy I had never heard of, a Dr. Samuel Sterns. But when that Abomination blood trickled into a head injury, it hit me that this guy is the Leader. I like the nod to comics continuity, but hate the casting here. I mean, Tim Blake Nelson was great as the idiot in O Brother Where Art Thou? but in general he doesn't pull off the feeling of an educated professor, and I especially don't think he'd be able to pull off The Leader.

I was also upset with the fact that in an interview Edward Norton said that they would be exploring the whole concept that The Hulk and Banner are aware of eachother and hate eachother. There is none of that in the movie. Maybe it was cut, or maybe it was just supposed to come out in the acting. Banner sure doesn't like The Hulk, but it seems like The Hulk is pretty much unaware of the fact he turns back into a "Puny Human" when he calms down.

Let's see... somewhere between 7.5 and 8/10 Let me think on it a little.

EDIT: Apparently Betty Ross' boyfriend is Leonard Samson? I thought he might be, but she never refers to him by name, nor does anybody in the cast. Not even a "Len" or a "Dr. Samson". They just mention that he's a Psychologist. Or as the character in the film puts it, a "head-shrinker".

Last edited:
I didn't even look at the spoilers here, because I plan on watching this movie this weekend. So I hit the down scroll REALLY HARD here. I don't want to have this movie ruined for me.

However, I think it's gonna be a damn fine Hulk movie! After all, Hulk is the character I'd most want to be. I get angry a lot and being almost 9 feet tall and green and mad would suit me just fine.

I'll put my 2 cents in once I see the film... and that'll be a mighty 2 cents. Belee dat!

At first I was a little bummed out that Mr. Blue wasn't Doc Samson, but instead this guy I had never heard of, a Dr. Samuel Sterns. But when that Abomination blood trickled into a head injury, it hit me that this guy is the Leader. I like the nod to comics continuity, but hate the casting here. I mean, Tim Blake Nelson was great as the idiot in O Brother Where Art Thou? but in general he doesn't pull off the feeling of an educated professor, and I especially don't think he'd be able to pull off The Leader.

i don't know i think he'll do fine.

I mean the leader while smart isn't bright....if that makes sense.

I don't know when I'll be seeing this, but I have one question:

Does the Leader actually play a role in the film after his transformation? Does he transform at all? Or is he just there to keep the fanboys happy?

Does the Leader actually play a role in the film after his transformation? Does he transform at all? Or is he just there to keep the fanboys happy?

Before his transformation he plays the role of Mr Blue, an online contact of Banner who is helping him with his curse. When Bruce and Betty finally meet him, they slowly discover he may actually be a loony, large stashes of synthesised Banner Blood and such. He eventually helps Blonsky become the Abomination, and when Blonsky goes mad smashes him into a wall and breaks a vial of Banner blood. The blood drops into a gash on Sterns' head, and his cranium starts to glow and swell up, and that is the last you see of him.

I'm seeing this in an hour and fifty minutes

I'm excited

I'm taking my 7 year old brother with me, so it should be fun.....I call him short-round

Now THIS is a real awesome true Hulk movie.

I enjoyed the crap out of it. All the little things to the way everyone was written. Brilliant.

I geeked seeing the "Weapons Plus" sign on the machine Ross took the serum out from storage. Weapon Plus! Tying into the super soldier serum sub-plot they're setting up for the Avengers movie.

And then Sterns! I was like, "Dammit! I know this name! Who is it!" And until his brain started to change, then I figured out it was The Leader!!

Marvel is on the right track with how they're doing the movies. AWESOME.

Last edited:
Man I really enjoyed this movie. Did any one else see Nick Fury's Name on the paper work durning the opening?.. nice touch. I loved all the comic book and Incredible Hulk tv show references.

I also noticed they mentioned Jim Wilson during the newsreport about the campus fight.

It was great

great great

not as good as Iron Man, but it's probably the best you can do with the Hulk, Vast improvement over Lee's

just great

8/10 for a super-hero movie, 10/10 for a Hulk movie

All right I just came back and I must say that I am very very pleased that I saw this movie. The refrences were fantastic, (SHIELD, Weapon Plus, Super Soldiers, Nick Fury, Stark Enterprises, Dr. Reinstein) the characters were excellently played, and it did what a Hulk movie was supposes to do: show a man on the run trying to deal with this incredible (no pun intended) power.

Now on the characters:

Bruce Banner: I thought that Edward Norton was absolutely perfect for this role. As much as Eric Bana brought heart to the role, Norton is leaps and bounds better because of how he played him. Banner's not this love struck whiner with daddy issues, he's a man that's been struck with this condition and has to deal. He brought heart to the character and even a little humor at the right moments. I also like the little touches to the character that the added. Him learning yoga, judo and his heart rate monitor was all there in the beginning to show how much Banner wants to be rid of the Hulk and to seperate him from his life. And the fact that in the end he was embracing the Hulk and attempting to trigger the transformations just showed what potential the Hulk has in an Avengers film. This film made me care just as much about seeing the Banner scenes as the Hulk scenes. Incredible Mr. Norton.

Emil Blonsky: Oh. My. God. Tim Roth just might have played my all time favorite movie villain of all time. If anything he's in my top five now. I liked how he played Blonsky as this over-the-hill gung ho soldier who's out for revenge to save his broken pride. And the scenes where he intially receives the Super Soldier Serum (I love that I can say that about a movie) just made me excited for what Captain America would look like in an Avengers movie. Roth was amazing as Emil Blonksy and I was kind of sad to see him transform into the Abomination because then I wouldn't see anymore Blonksy. But when he started fighting and yelling and killing as the Abomination I was assure because that might just have been one of the all time great fight scenes in a superhero movie. But the best part about the entire thing was that Hulk did not kill Blonksy in the end. If he had it would have been a complete waste of a great character and now he has the potential to show up in an Avengers or a future Hulk movie. Very good Mr. Roth.

General Ross: As much as I loved Sam Elliot in the role I now feel the need to consider William Hurt as the ****ing man. He played the gruff role of T-Bolt perfectly. I really loved how the hunt for the Hulk has consumed his life and he's willing to risk Betty and everything else to capture Banner. And the ending where he changes his mind and comes to embrace Banner as a hero really shows how great Hurt played the character. He better show up in the Avengers. Bravo Mr. Hurt.

Betty Ross: Now as good as the other characters where in this film it's easy to judge Betty as a weak character, but Norton, Roth and Hurt were all so amazing in their roles that no other character could shine through. Liv Tyler played the role well and made Betty a character you can empathize with. I thought she did well and played the love interest the best she could.

Samuel Sterns: He was kind of a cooky character. I didn't know what to expect seeing a Leader on the screen and I can say that I was plesently surprised in how it turned out. And that moment where his head starts to swell completely gave me a geekasm because you just know the Leader would be amazing in a sequel. I'm glad Tim Blake Nelson signed on for the sequel.

Doc Samson: I knew that he was in the film but wished someone would've referred to him by name or something. Maybe even calling him Doc would've worked for me, oh well. I liked how he was played as a good guy who didn't approve of Ross's actions. He's signed on for a sequel so hopefully his character will be explored more.

Tony Stark: Just cause you have to mention the man. That scene at the with Hurt sitting there and talking to Stark was a much bigger scene for me than Fury coming to Stark. Just hearing Robert Downy Jr. say "we're assembling a team" has got to trump even the scene at the end of Batman Begins with the Joker card. That scene made the entire film. Thank you Robert Downy Jr. and William Hurt.

So all in all I've got to say it was a great film. Not as great as Iron Man but miles ahead of the first one. I don't know how they could have brought the Hulk to the screen better. And the Avengers movie is now the most amazing film oppertunity I can think of. It really was Incredible.

9/10 It wasn't perfect, but what is? I gave Iron Man a 9.5/10 so this makes since. Edward Norton is Bruce Banner in the same way that Robert Downy Jr. is Tony Stark. Avengers man. Blows my mind.

The scene that would have been after the credits, was moved to just before the credits

that's my one gripe, I get the point of it, not making people suffer through the credits, but there is a pretty big disconnect between the scene with banner in the woods, and RDJ's cameo, it would have made alot more sense to have it at the end of the credits

plus the end of the Banner part, makes for a perfect to the credits transition

Can we get a poll?

Last edited:
The scene that would have been after the credits, was moved to just before the credits

that's my one gripe, I get the point of it, not making people suffer through the credits, but there is a pretty big disconnect between the scene with banner in the woods, and RDJ's cameo, it would have made alot more sense to have it at the end of the credits

plus the end of the Banner part, makes for a perfect to the credits transition

Can we get a poll?

I dunno. I like having Robert Downy Jr. having the last say in every Marvel movie. But that scene in the woods was utter badass.

I saw this last night. I actually liked the first half of the movie better than the second - the Hulk vs. Abomination scene kind of had me rolling my eyes a bit, and Samuel Sterns was just....meh. I can't picture him becoming the Leader. He was too goofy.

Tim Roth was awesome. I kind of have a man-crush on him and Norton. The first quarter of the movie with the Special Forces agents in Brazil was probably my favorite part....it reminded me of the TV series, Banner on the run. Working in a bottle shop was cool, hot Latina chick, Stan Lee drinking his blood. William Hurt was cool.

I feel like....all of the actors were perfect in their roles (except for Samuel Sterns), but they were...."underplayed" I guess. I would have liked to have seen more of Doc Samson. That scene in the trailer where Samson and Banner are talking, and Samson's like, "Bruce, I know what you're going through," and Banner's like, "No, not exactly" - wasn't in the movie. Leterrier must have cut a lot of stuff out.

There's supposed to be like an hour of cut footage which will be available on the blu-ray release. Too bad I don't have blu-ray.

And the seen with Downey JR. at the end was cool. But why didn't Iron Man just show up and take out the Abomination? I think the Tony Stark scene took place like 30-or-so days after the Hulk vs. Abomination incident, so maybe Tony Stark hadn't become Iron Man yet during the Abomination's rampage.

Could have been better, but at least it was better than the original. Wasn't better than Iron Man though. The CGI was better than the original, but it was still a bit goofy.

And I noticed Nick Fury's name on one of the SHIELD documents in the beginning.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back