Halo Movie

SSJmole

Face-Punching As Foreign Policy
Master Chief 'not the star' of Halo film

With Hollywood studios working on a sci-fi action epic in the world of Halo, it had been assumed that the hero of the video games would take up the same role on the silver screen.

However, the current script reportedly shifts the focus of the story elsewhere - relegating Master Chief to a 'leading support' role.

Bungie writer Joe Staten, speaking to industry commentator N'GAi Croal, said that the decision had been made to avoid problems with creating empathy among viewers for the main character.

This requires the removal of Master Chief from top spot, as the character's tight-lipped nature does not lend itself to forging a connection with cinema audiences.

In the big-selling Xbox 360 game, Master Chief often shows how he is felling, but Mr Staten said this would be "hard to carry as a main character for an entire film".

This follows a well-trodden path between films and video games, with one other recent example being Kane and Lynch, which was snapped up by film studio executives before it was even released to gamers.

Was looking for the thread on this but couldn't find it , However for those who thought film was cancelled it's back on

I have a feeling that this is site has a bad source, if it was back on I'm certian I would of heard something, or they would at least report on which studio picked it up

also interview is here too http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/levelup/archive/2008/01/15/the-joseph-staten-interview-part-i.aspx

apparently it's still on , just taking longer than it should have
I didn't read the whole article but it said the interview was taken in August, months before the movie went on Hiatus

Last edited:
I have a feeling that this is site has a bad source, if it was back on I'm certian I would of heard something, or they would at least report on which studio picked it up

I didn't read the whole article but it said the interview was taken in August, months before the movie went on Hiatus

Ah that's cool , I just heard and read that apparently it is still happening but Bungie is just looking for a studio , the second they find one which they will it'll be back on

Master Chief taking a "lead supporting" role is fine with me, because it really does make sense. A good new character, like a soldier or someone, would work quite well, or even just Sgt. Johnson or Miranda Keyes. I just hope the Arbiter has as big a part as MC from the second movie onward.

At least MC is in it. He's really the only connection that the mainstream peoples (the peoples who haven't played Halo) have with Halo. Plus he's an integral part of the Halo universe.

Last edited:
This movie will be made eventually. Its not cancelled, just looking for a studio willing to put up the big bucks required to make a movie true to the games.

As for MC not being the "main character", that both makes sense and was expected on my part. I just hope they don't come up with some lame "new" character to stick beside MC (I swear if we end up with some snarky, wise-cracking teen for a main character in this movie I'll be pissed).

Last edited:
Yeah, it's on a BIG hiatus

Which I think is stupid , I might not think the games are as good as people say BUT they are making a movie on the sims! the god damn sims! sure I love the sims games but as movie? what the hell.

This should be made above alot of the game based movies they are doing

Yeah, it's on a BIG hiatus

Its stalled, for sure. However, the writer's strike may in fact help this thing get made: its a big budget blockbuster, and an almost sure-thing at that (I'd actually be impressed if it turned out to be a crappy movie). It'll make any studio who produces it mounds of money. The record breaking sales of the video games alone speak to that, and with the movie audience being drastically bigger than the video game audience, also means those numbers will more than likely be HUGE. The script is done, complete, ready to shoot, etc. I'm sure once the studios take another look at their finite number (however big it is) of available, shootable scripts, they'll greenlight this movie in a second.

It'll make money, and lots of it. In other words, this movie will be made eventually.

It'll make any studio who produces it mounds of money. The record breaking sales of the video games alone speak to that, and with the movie audience being drastically bigger than the video game audience, also means those numbers will more than likely be HUGE. The script is done, complete, ready to shoot, etc. I'm sure once the studios take another look at their finite number (however big it is) of available, shootable scripts, they'll greenlight this movie in a second.

It'll make money, and lots of it. In other words, this movie will be made eventually.
This is logically fallacious, as there have been many best-selling videogames that have not translated into sure money.

Final Fantasy was a box-office bomb for Sony, resulting in hundreds of millions of dollars in losses. Doom got a solid start, then proceeded to take a sharp dive in ticket sales. Wing Commander didn't even make half its budget back.

Latest posts

Back